Parts and Products Post new products, talk about parts other than electrical, drivetrain and suspension.

Body Kits & Performance

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Keet will become famous soon enough
Body Kits & Performance

For those of you who are going for performance and have a body kit, I was wondering ... wouldn't it be better to have just the front bumper and side skirts but to entirely omit the rear bumper?

I just don't see the point in having a rear bumper, especially a low one, and thought it would actually be best to leave one off.

Let me know what you think and why.
Old 12-20-2004
250+ awhp Stage 2

SLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant future
I think it would look weird without a rear bumper...Front and sides would be hella lower without rear, but I think it is smart not to have a rear bumper, unless you have some major brackets so it doesn't break with the wind and other stuff.
Old 12-20-2004
Registered!!

carbonfiberEm is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a front bumper and side skirts, but no rear. It doesn't look too bad at all. In addition to that, I also have a diffuser to let air outa the rear bumper.

Here's a link to check it 4 yourself... don't flame too much or be an ***, but opinions are welcome. http://www.thejdm.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2538
Old 12-20-2004
I like you! do you like me?

Farage is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by carbonfiberEm
I have a front bumper and side skirts, but no rear. It doesn't look too bad at all. In addition to that, I also have a diffuser to let air outa the rear bumper.

Here's a link to check it 4 yourself... don't flame too much or be an ***, but opinions are welcome. http://www.thejdm.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2538
nice ride, greetings.
Old 12-20-2004
7thgens official a$$hole

ajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to behold
yeah that makes since look at the the nascar rides there rear buymper is really high, but it is illegal to not have a bumper on your car and drive it on the street, or atleast in missouri and illionois, it is.
Old 12-20-2004
Registered!!

ty.barrack is an unknown quantity at this point
you mean you want to retain the stock rear bumper I think. Yeah that'd probably look cool. I have thought the same, but you have to see it with the front and sides, then judge for yourself.
Old 12-20-2004
.................................................. ..................

SIinthesky will become famous soon enoughSIinthesky will become famous soon enough
I personally like it better with a rear bumper done as well IMO.....My fav' is the tsunami rear bumper http://www.tsunami1.com/index1.htm
Old 12-20-2004
Registered!!

chrisleecool has a spectacular aura aboutchrisleecool has a spectacular aura about

I like your ride man
the front breaks look awesome mang what kind are they? and how much did it cost you? (almost time to replace my breaks)
But Honestly, It would look better with rear skirt (g5 preffered since you have g5sides or OEM would look good too)
but overall your ride looks good
Old 12-20-2004
Registered!!

Stocky is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice Ride. Really Liking The Seats.
Old 12-20-2004
Registered!!

blackcivic07 is an unknown quantity at this point
i think it would look better with the rear too...jmo
Old 12-21-2004
Registered!!

The brakes are Wilwoods and set me back about 750.00 with the front lines. As for my rear bumper, I have had 2 other ones and did not like them. I had the full rear wings west bumper (weighed 3 times the amount of the stock one) and a skyline R34 that was total junk and could not be installed w/o molding it in. I'm considering a rear skirt, or some custom carbon diffuser setup under the bumper.
Old 12-21-2004
Registered!!

LowRYda03ex is an unknown quantity at this point
I think having a lower bumper would somewhat hinder performance in creating a "parachute effect" as well as weighing more than factory. However, i predict that it would not be very significant at all, and you would not feel any apparent loss. Having a front bumper and skirts without the rear looks stupid imo (although the pics posted above are still a badass car) Its not worth sacrificing the looks of the car for a very slight (if any) performance gain in this situation.
Old 12-21-2004
Registered!!

mexinaction will become famous soon enoughmexinaction will become famous soon enough
carbonfiberem:
your rude is hot, but i personally dont like the oem bumper with the slots in them. but other than that it is a hot ride
Old 12-21-2004
Registered!!

jakejham should not be trustedjakejham should not be trusted
yes it looks good. go for the oem rear lip
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	rear lip kit.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	44206  

Last edited by jakejham; 12-21-2004 at 11:28 AM.
Old 12-21-2004

SIinthesky will become famous soon enoughSIinthesky will become famous soon enough
check out this carbon fiber lip kit.....it looks pretty good.....i bit expensive though http://www.fiberimages.com/honda.html
Old 12-21-2004
Registered!!

I do want to do something. I've seen both, and like them both. Factory obviously will be cheaper. Do you think the rear skirt in carbon would look ok since i have so much carbon already, even though the rest of the kit is painted?
Old 12-21-2004
Yes, it's an Acura EL

TeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to all
Originally Posted by LowRYda03ex
I think having a lower bumper would somewhat hinder performance in creating a "parachute effect" as well as weighing more than factory. However, i predict that it would not be very significant at all, and you would not feel any apparent loss. Having a front bumper and skirts without the rear looks stupid imo (although the pics posted above are still a badass car) Its not worth sacrificing the looks of the car for a very slight (if any) performance gain in this situation.
Agreed, loss in performance won't be that much, but there is indeed a sort of parachute effect, which is why carbonfiberem's rear diffuser is theoretically functional - it allows air to flow out of the section that "catches" the air - similar to cutting a hole in your parachute (please don't cut holes in parachutes). Another method is to direct air out without cutting into the bumper:

Old 12-21-2004

The more carbon fiber the better. I wouldnt do just a carbon fiber rear lip though. Its the whole kit or nothing at all.....just dont think it would look right.