I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Wiring questions for Backup Camera

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
emaxxx4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Wiring questions for Backup Camera

Hello. I received a backup camera system for my Civic for Christmas. I'd like to get around to installing it, but my primary concern is the ease of wiring to the reverse lights. I checked my Haynes manual and discovered the correct light socket; a three-wire connector of red, black, and green, and I know the black and red wires from the camera go to the corresponding wires of the reverse light.

Reverse light socket, only putting this here in case I read the Haynes manual wrong.

My question is regarding the best route to attach it. Should I cut off the connector, purchase a new connector and wrap the camera's red wire with the backup light's red wire (and same for black), or is it easier to use these old taps I've been holding on to instead?

Taps that I've held on to. One end has both channels open, the other end has one channel open for the existing wire.

There's a Honda dealership near me and I thought perhaps they had the connector in stock, but I'm also unsure as to if it would be able to take both red wires and black wires from the camera and light and have the connector snap tight securely. I'd just hate to get stuck and have to end up buying a whole new harness because of a dumb mistake (in case there's not enough wire for me to put on a barell connector and re-extend it.

Thank you for your help!
Old 07-11-2018
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: Wiring questions for Backup Camera

I don't like those style clips.

I would cut, splice, solder and cover with heat shrink. Western union splice!
Old 07-11-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Vampire clips, because they SUCK

I soldered mine LOL

Regardless of wire colors, I'd first confirm power/ground on the suspect wires ---at the correct times--- using a voltmeter or test light BEFORE making any splices or connections
Old 07-14-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
emaxxx4 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you. Ultimately I had used butt terminals. I sliced the backup light socket in half and attached butt terminals on the ends, no solder (yet). I did attempt to pull them apart but they stayed intact. I ran a few pairs of about the same gauge wire to them, the camera's wires going in the same direction as the reverse light, tested it, and it works! Now all I have to do is run it under the carpet. I'm not sure if I want to cut a small piece of carpet and run the wire through there or drill a small hole with a grommet through the console instead.
Old 07-14-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I did attempt to pull them apart but they stayed intact
That should be a decent crimp.

I ran mine around the fold down back seat, under the bottom cushion and pulled up the door sill trims to tuck along the carpet, up to the driver kick panel, then up into the dash.