I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Immobilizer Issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
riverjunkie02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Immobilizer Issues

I've got a 2013 Civic (bought used) and have had random immobilizer issues with it. It's happened several times and has left me stranded a couple of times, most recently this morning, when I was getting ready to leave for work. Whenever this happens, the keyless entry won't work, so I have to get in the car manually. When I turn the key, the engine will turnover, but will immediately shutoff. When this happens, the immobilizer key will flash repeatedly. Sometimes (rarely) a different key will work and do the trick.

I've had this car towed to the Honda dealership twice. Naturally when it's in their possession, this never happens. The car will fire right up. They've informed me that since it's immobilizer system related, a public code reader won't be able to tell us what's going on. It will have to be a Honda code reader, since it's anti-theft related (proprietary technology). With that in mind, I left it with them for over two weeks and they tried (they tell me) multiple times per day to crank the car up. They never had an issue. This only happens when it's in my possession. The Honda service manager offered to come out with a technician next time it happens to get a reading off of it. The problem with this is...it happened at 5AM this morning and by 8AM it would fire up with no problem. It wasn't an issue long enough for them to come out and check it out.

I've been reaching for explanations with this. I have noticed that this seems to only happen in the hot months. We're in the Southeast. It happened in September of last year and then this morning....when it was much warmer (90 degree days). This is probably nothing, but I wanted to get any information that may be useful in this post.