I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

honda civic hybrid 2006 not starting - green key flashing

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
omar160208 is an unknown quantity at this point
honda civic hybrid 2006 not starting - green key flashing

Looking for help/advice

Honda Civic Hybrid 2006 1.3L
KM: 223,000

I've changed my battery 4 months ago and I believe the negative connector was loose. Today the weather was pretty cold (-14 degrees) and I've let my car off for 3-4 hours and when I went in (manually) I tried to start the car as I normally would and nothing turns on, no dashboard/lights or cranking.

I then opened the hood and seen the negative connector got off of the battery. I put the negative connector back in place and tightened it and once back in the car, I tried to start the car and still no success of getting the engine started. The radio asked me for the code and I had put it accepted the code but I notice there is a green key flashing on the dashboard.

Two weeks back I had lost my only key (original) and had to call this car locksmith and he changed me the key (a normal remote less key with a chip in), two weeks from that here I am with a problem again. I called the locksmith guy and he told me the key is alright and it is still programmed with my car.

*The car never cranked when I first got in the car (I didn't know the car wouldn't smart.
**I have boosted my car battery thinking it may need to be charged to run well.
***The green key is flashing non-stop
****Battery is fine
Old 12-23-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: honda civic hybrid 2006 not starting - green key flashing

Sounds like the key codes got erased.

Click link: http://mastertechmag.com/pdf/2011/09...-antitheft.pdf

Scroll down to find front page of the related service bulletin and read the "symptom" and "probable cause" paragraphs

If you read the entire linked article, it talks about reprogramming (realigning?) the units involved and the car starts and runs, but that process alone doesn't address the issue that caused the memory dump in the first place. If the same scenario happens again, the same result can occur. The new replacement unit listed in the dealers service bulletin is updated to address the issue.

I didn't find the full version on my google search, sorry.
Old 12-23-2017
Registered!!

omar160208 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ezone
Sounds like the key codes got erased.

Click link: http://mastertechmag.com/pdf/2011/09...-antitheft.pdf

Scroll down to find front page of the related service bulletin and read the "symptom" and "probable cause" paragraphs

If you read the entire linked article, it talks about reprogramming (realigning?) the units involved and the car starts and runs, but that process alone doesn't address the issue that caused the memory dump in the first place. If the same scenario happens again, the same result can occur. The new replacement unit listed in the dealers service bulletin is updated to address the issue.

I didn't find the full version on my google search, sorry.
I unplugged the battery as I would put a new one this morning, cleaned possible corrosion or anything and put the battery back again and entered the radio code. Now, when I put the key to I then the green key sign flashes for few seconds then disappears. Then I turn the key to III and it starts the engine for 2-3 seconds and shuts down.
Old 12-23-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Key codes got erased.

Immobilizer is not allowing the engine to run because it doesn't recognize your keys.
Immobilizer shuts the engine off at the 2 second mark.

You probably won't get it to run on your own, unless you have a scanner that can access the immobilizer functions and do programming.

First thought is tow it to a Honda dealership.
Have them look up the bulletin I linked, it matches your situation exactly.

Second thought is see if any locksmiths in your area can program Hondas immobilizer keys and system components, see if they can go through the processes described in the linked article.
This might get it going but can't prevent it from happening again.
Old 01-05-2018
Registered!!

wllmnewton is an unknown quantity at this point

OMAR160208,
I was gone two weeks,came back to a dead battery.Attempted a jump start,the car would run for a few seconds and stall.Took the battery to AutoZone
for a slow charge,during the whole process the "Green Key" light was flashing.I called the local Honda dealership and they gave me a five digit
"Brake Code" which I entered using the hand brake,cycled the key from 0 to II for each time I would enter a digit.Enter digit by cycling the hand brake
as many times to equal the digit.Car starts and runs,requires code reentry each time car is turned off.
This was on my 2006 Honda Civic Hybrid.

Last edited by wllmnewton; 01-05-2018 at 11:27 AM. Reason: forgot details