Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here.

Si Brake Upgrade

Old 04-12-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LukeKondratowic is an unknown quantity at this point
Si Brake Upgrade

I recently went to a circuit track and was quite impressed with the performance of my all stock Si sedan. I will certainly like to come back and hone my driving skills in the near future.

I did notice that after about 5-7 laps I had to pull over and let my car thoroughly cool off. I am sure that my driving skills had something to do with this however, I ended up coming off the track at one point because the brakes had completely overheated.

Anyways, I am looking into purchasing some new brakes and want to improve them. I was wondering if anyone knows of any full kits. I know that brembo and willowwood make some kist but they only come with rotors and calipers.

I was wondering if purchasing something like that is mostly for looks tho, because wouldnt I also have to upgrade the brake booster as well for any of that stuff to actually work better?

I am also wondering if heat can be disipated in other less expensive ways, like better fluid or perhaps steel braded lines?

I have also chatted with another guy who had an Si coupe and he did a 'poor' mans upgrade and salvaged some rotors from an RSX, again I was wondering, if perhaps and RSX might have a bigger brake booster would it fit and bolt onto my Si.

Well basically I want to know everything there is to know about these brakes so i can make informed upgrade with out just shelling out a lot of dough .

Thanks
Old 04-12-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
Re: Si Brake Upgrade

There's a lot involved with considering a brake upgrade.

If your car is currently stock, you would be best served by upgrading to SS brake lines, good brake fluid and more aggressive brake pads, nothing more.
Old 04-12-2012
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

start with hawk pads or similar and stay shorter on the brake with added stopping power.
dot4 does wonders.
if does not work, start thinking on bigger brakes
Old 04-12-2012
EM2ti

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
maxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of light

Agree with Mindbomber and sdaidoji. Better pads. Bleed the system, replace with a fluid with 500 degree plus, dry temp rating. Titanium pad shims or brake coolers can also help.
Old 04-12-2012
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

in other words, yer trying to jump steps.
i drove my rear drums in the track several times, never had to do anything more than the pads and fluid. Of course i have only the D17A2 engine, but then, the least you brake the more momentum you maintain - funny, it's related to gas mileage as well :P- perfect for a low powered car (yes, Si's are not very powerful either - if you overheated the brakes, your doing something wrong - more driving lessons are required, as you mentioned in first post).

My rear brakes are at 106k miles and still stock. shoes look brand new. brakes fine. If not on track or autoX, I step on the gas on corners, don't brake at all. at the track, thre's not enough power to get really fast enough to push the brakes, much less an heavier example like the 2011. if it was an 6th gen, it might be light enough to warranty brakes with low power.
heck, do you know how much horses/weight a corvette have?!?

Last edited by sdaidoji; 04-12-2012 at 10:00 PM.
Old 05-25-2012
Registered!!

minorc will become famous soon enough

All depends on how much tracking you want to do in the future.
Good starting point would be Pads, rotors, SS lines, fluid
Old 09-25-2012
Registered!!

gravett1 is an unknown quantity at this point

What front pads have low dust?