Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here.

Suspension noise after installing 17in wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
etgaudette is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Suspension noise after installing 17in wheels?

I own a 2011 Civic DX and recently installed a set of 17in wheels and mags found on the internet on it (mint condition). Since then, the back suspension is very sensitive when there's any kind of weight in the back of the car. I get "squeeks" when I hit the slightest bump. I recently had to drive with 2 passengers in the backseat and it was horrible.

The Honda mechanic told me that's what I get for installing low profile wheels and that there's nothing I can do to fix it.

Any of you had similar problems? Is there a way to fix this?

Thanks!
Old 09-26-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Suspension noise after installing 17in wheels?

The suspension shouldn't care what tires and wheels are on the car, as long as they fit correctly.
If they don't fit correctly, your mechanic could very well be correct.

The car is only one model year old, it should still be tight and noise free. And under warranty if your mileage is low.

Make sure the wheels and tires fit right and don't come anywhere near anything to rub.

Make sure the hub and lug patterns and sizes are the same, and that the correct lugnuts for the new rims are being used.
Honda uses a rounded taper on the lugnut seat (the cone shaped area), most others use a straight taper. NOT compatible!

Got centering rings?

17" rims were sold as OE accessories, but I don't know what the spacing is on them. Those specs aren't given in the parts catalog that I can see.
You could measure the backspacing on the original wheels and compare to your new wheels.
Tire size would be 215/45R17 according to the catalog.

Wait up, found these numbers in a set of installation instructions:
Rim size 17 x 7 J (offset 45)
Tire side 215/45ZR17 91W
Bolt hole PCD 114.3 (5 holes)

(LOL@tire side, nobody proofread the instructions?)

Lugnuts all torqued to 80 ft/lb by hand?

Put the originals back on and see if the noise is gone.
At least that would tell you if the problem is in the car or the wheels.
Old 09-27-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
etgaudette is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks ezone, that gives me things to look at.

The garage verified that the wheel size matches the car before installing them, So the problem shouldn't be there. As for the nuts, they came with the rims, and are not Honda. But wouldn't it be obvious when installing the rims if there was a comptability problem with the nuts?

I will definitely have to make sure nothing rubs and look if I should have spacers or centering rings. I'll look for a second opinion at another mechanic and give him your list :P.
Old 09-27-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

But wouldn't it be obvious when installing the rims if there was a comptability problem with the nuts?
Most knuckledraggers would only stop if the nuts didn't thread right on. Some wouldn't even stop then, they get the impact gun and start hammering.
I've seen all sorts of ways it can be done wrong. I've worked with many of the above over the years.
(Not saying your guy is this way, but sooo many are.)

Someone would have to KNOW that Hondas wheels are different AND be looking for it. It isn't a real obvious difference.

If the rims came with their own hardware, I'd hope they were correct for the rims. You should be fine there if they are.