Transmission Post your issues with Transmissions here! Transmission covers from Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles.

Car Jerks While Coming To A Complete Stop

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Myotismon is an unknown quantity at this point
Car Jerks While Coming To A Complete Stop

Hello all!

I am brand new to this forum and I do not have the patience to search your back logs to see if this problem has existed before my existence here. I also don't know too much about cars in general so bare with me while I stumble through this jargon.

I have an Automatic 2011 Civic LX-S with 45K miles on it. The other day while driving I felt a jerking feeling while coming to a complete stop. It usually happens at very low speeds. About 5-3 MPH.

Luckily(?) this only happens under specific circumstances as well. I have tried recreating this problem while having the car in Drive, D3, 2 and 1. As far as I have been able to notice it only happens when the car is in Drive and D3. Never when it is in 2 or 1. This leads me to believe that the transmission is throwing the car from 3rd gear to 1st gear while coming to a stop causing me to feel the car jerk slightly.

What has me baffled is why the transmission is doing this. I also don't know whether or not this is normal or of any concern? How do I fix this?

***The check engine light is not on

Last edited by Myotismon; 10-05-2018 at 01:54 PM.
Old 10-05-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,129 Likes on 943 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: Car Jerks While Coming To A Complete Stop

are you sure it's not related to the brakes?
Old 10-05-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Colin42
are you sure it's not related to the brakes?
It could be, but the fact that it doesn't happen while in D2 or D1 makes me think that its related solely to the transmission. It happens at around 5-3 MPH and I haven't felt it jerk while in those lower drive settings even after getting them up to a decent speed then slowing.
Old 10-05-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like it's downshifting as it slows down, could be normal

It can't downshift while in manual 2nd or manual 1st.

Is this a brand new problem?
Is this car new to you and you don't know if this is typical or not? Drive an identical car that has no complaints before you decide to condemn yours.

Had ATF fluid service done yet?
Drain and fill every 30k using only Hondas DW-1 fluid, it's simpler than an oil change.
Old 10-07-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Sounds like it's downshifting as it slows down, could be normal

It can't downshift while in manual 2nd or manual 1st.

Is this a brand new problem?
Is this car new to you and you don't know if this is typical or not? Drive an identical car that has no complaints before you decide to condemn yours.

Had ATF fluid service done yet?
Drain and fill every 30k using only Hondas DW-1 fluid, it's simpler than an oil change.

The car is new to me. I haven't had the ATF fluid changed, but I have inspected it. The levels are fine and the fluid looks good to me. Nothing strange about it. Clean and is the correct color.
Old 10-07-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Myotismon
The car is new to me.
It's probably normal for the car. That's why I suggest driving a couple other identical cars to see if they all do it