Transmission Post your issues with Transmissions here! Transmission covers from Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles.

08 Civic Lx - automatic- 40k - gear shifting hard

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
itsfighter is an unknown quantity at this point
08 Civic Lx - automatic- 40k - gear shifting hard

Hi, I have a 08 civic lx - 40k miles . The gear shifts hard during the first 10-20 mins (every-time after parking for a while 3-4 hrs) and also at low speeds the gear shift around 19-20 mph looks like slipping, not smooth (not always - if u apply more gas its fine). I have scheduled an appointment with dealer. Any one can suggest what might be the problem? Thanks in advance.
Old 06-12-2011
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light
Re: 08 Civic Lx - automatic- 40k - gear shifting hard

The fluid may just need to be changed. That stuff doesn't last forever. The hard shifting may just be from the fluid not being fully warmed up, hence the reason it drives fine after a while. Try being a little less aggressive on the throttle and see if that helps any. I drive a manual and my car behaves the same way for the first 10 minutes of driving.
Old 06-18-2011
Registered!!

Hi Guys, I went to the dealer today. As usual/expected they cant duplicate the issue. I mentioned following issues and they gave me the following recommendations. I just did my oil and filter change and came back. I need your suggestions/inputs to decide which one in their recommendation is of higher priority/important to do immediately and which I can wait for some more months.

2008 civic LX - 41500 miles - Honda certified - Purchased at 36K miles, 7 mnths before.

Issues I mentioned:
  • Gear shifting is hard (first 15-20 mins of drive)
  • Brakes lower than usual and grinding while braking

Their recommendation:
  • Cabin Filter is dirty - Recommends replacement - $83
  • Transmission Fluid discolored, recommends a drain and fill. - $93
  • Rear brakes dry and sticking, recommends a rear brake maintenance. - $45
  • Power steering fluid is dirty, recommends flushing. - $105
  • Brake fluid is dirty and due every 3 yrs - Brake fluid flush needed. - $115

Please give me your suggestions to decide which of the above recommendation is needed immediately and how long I can wait for others..
Thanks in advance.
Old 06-18-2011
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light

I believe most of us here would suggest the fluid drain and fill. But, however, one question I would want answered. When did they test drive your vehicle? You say this only happens when you first start driving. If you drove to the dealer and the car only sat for an hour or so, the fluid may have warmed up just enough to not replicate the issue. I would see if you could let the car sit overnight and then have them do the drive again. Sounds a little O.C.D, but you gotta try and get everything the same way as when the problem occurred.
Old 06-18-2011
Registered!!

Thanks for your rely MelJ. Let me do the transmission fluid change and see whether my problem gets fixed.

Any suggestions on other recommendations they provided and when to do that so that I can do that along with ATF change.

Thanks
Old 06-18-2011
Registered!!

98blaster+4 is an unknown quantity at this point

dude you gotta NOT pony up any cash for them to do the cabin air filter. go to autozone or similar and get one yourself, then go out into the parking lot, emty your glove box, give the sides a gentle squeeze until it rotates all the way down, then there are two squeeze spots on a slim drawer, open the drawer, remove the filter noting which way is up and careully install the new one....slide drawer back in, close glove box and refill with whatever came out of it and go throw the lod filter away in their trashcan. done..
nuff said
Old 06-19-2011
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

I would make sure you get this transmission issue documented with the dealer while you still have drivetrain warr ( 5yrs/60k )

Your mm may not have even displayed for the atf service at 40k ??

Try the ATF service and go from there and yes, get your own cabin filter.

Has the air filter under the hood ever been replaced ?? If not it is overdue.
Old 06-19-2011
Registered!!

Hi craig, Mine is honda certified so 1yr/48K - full warranty and 7yrs/100000k powertrain warranty - I also got an extended warranty coverage for 7 yrs full warranty.
You are correct As per MM transmission fluid is due at 60K miles. I am unable to understand abt getting this issue documented from dealer - I have the service receipt documented my issue and dealer's note of unable to duplicate functioning as designed. other than this what can I get from the dealer.

I am planning to do the ATF fluid drain and fill, Brake fluid flush(I guess its due every 3 yrs), rear brake service and power steering fluid flush ( still not sure whether to do this/important - I checked the color today and its little dark. I guess its better to do it???) .

Planning to replace the cabin filter by myself.

Thanks.
Old 06-19-2011

CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

You can spread them out over time. ATF and brake fluid change 1st priority. Not sure about the rear brake service, cleaning with spray brake cleaner may be enough (usually easy to pull drums) My 05 has 130k and the rears are still fine. The power steering change is not really specified from what I have seen, 3.5-4 years should be fine.
Old 06-19-2011
Trance Addict

^+1 to that. Those would be my top priorities. I've always been told to just change PS fluid when it's dirty. Haven't seen a mileage recommendation.
Old 06-19-2011
Registered!!

Craig and MelJ, Thanks for your replies/suggestion. Can I replace engine air filter by myself (08 civic lx)? If so can you give me the steps or procedures?

Thanks
Old 06-19-2011

Release the metal clips and and slightly lift and fold the top cover to the left. (there is a sensor and attached wire on the lid)

The filter lifts straight up and out.