Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

AC not working on 2010 Honda Civic LX-S

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Syredor is an unknown quantity at this point
AC not working on 2010 Honda Civic LX-S

So to preface, I am not very mechanically inclined, though i have some friends who are who helped me troubleshoot thus far.

The A/C hasn't been working in my civic for a few years now. It hasn't been much of an issue however, I am moving to Florida soon, so I would prefer to get it running again.

I've been able to prove the compressor works and the Freon levels are within spec. The compressor when plugged in normal will not kick on, ever. The compressor with a speaker wire connected from the batteries positive terminal directly into the compressors positive will bring it to life. The air it blows out with this is cold on the right side of the vehicle but not the left side. Plugging it back into the normal path will have it not working once again.

What issues should I look into from here?

side notes: Compressor is replaced, less than 6 months old. The shop couldn't figure out why it would not kick on. They suggested I take it to an electrical place. I've also been told it might be the sensors that are dead? Though again, I have no clue about those. I just replaced the battery and spark plugs this month as well.

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-01-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: AC not working on 2010 Honda Civic LX-S

When you turn on the AC, do both radiator fans turn on? (HUGE CLUE)
If yes, Swap relays from the clutch position in the engine compartment fusebox with another one. (mark each one so you can replace the bad one if needed)
If no, then ohm check the thermal protector on th compressor (should have continuity)

Might need a scanner to see if the PCM is receiving the AC request, or if the PCM is not allowing the AC to run. Dealership.

As far as the big difference in dash vent temps, that's an indication the freon charge is low. Be careful with adding, just a couple ounces over or under target spec can seriously affect performance. (A pro will charge the system by weight)