Suspension Post your issues with Suspension here! Suspension will cover from Steering Column (Steer Wheel is in interior), Suspension, Bearing and Hubs

2009 Civic 1.8 (base model) HIgh Speed WHEEL SHAKE

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Loganl28 is an unknown quantity at this point
2009 Civic 1.8 (base model) HIgh Speed WHEEL SHAKE

Wheel shake happens slightly around 45mph but gets violent at 65mph to 80mph. At 65 mph it shakes worse on deceleration (not when I’m braking). When I approach 80mph it switches to shake on acceleration.

Things I have tried:
- I have replaced both CV axles. I have heard the inner joints can cause this vibration. (Didn’t work)
- I have checked the upper motor mount that is famous for collapsing but there is still a 1/2” gap before it is bottomed out.
- I have replaced the bottom motor mount (didn’t work)
- I have rotated the tires, and borrowed a set from a friend. (Didn’t work)
- In an attempt to single out which side of the car was making the problem, I jacked the driver side in the air and ran it in gear and the whole car shook when the speedometer read around 65mph. I did the same on the passenger side and it shook on that side as well.

I am am really frustrated. Any thoughts or ideas?
Old 07-10-2018
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,149 Likes on 803 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2009 Civic 1.8 (base model) HIgh Speed WHEEL SHAKE

Get an alignment?

Tie rods look good?

Tire treadwear look normal?

Brake pad wear even?
Old 07-10-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Watch the tires spin (low speed, 1st or 2nd gear @idle), see if they are not actually round and true. If not, why not?
Wheels spin true, regardless of what the tires look like?
Lumpy tires? Slipped belt? Just a little out of round?

Stock wheels? Tire balance.
Aftermarket wheels? Balance and/or hub centering rings missing

Also possible, liquid in tire(s). Ever use fix-a-flat?
Old 07-11-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,443 Likes on 1,198 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

mine did shake when tie-rods were worn. It allows for the whole assembly to move. Same could be said of ball joints. or control arms. inspect them. If they the cause fior shaking, you will feel them move too much