Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Buzz in floor and steering

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wariogamer is an unknown quantity at this point
Buzz in floor and steering

Ok so there's this buzzing like vibration at all speeds that I can feel in the floorboard (gas pedal, brake pedal) and the steering wheel, also any imperfections in the road I feel in the steering wheel and pedals. It seems to get a tad worse the higher the RPM. Wtf is this? I can't figure it out. I replaced tie rods, ball joints, bearings, wheels, tires, control arms, shocks and struts! The works! What else?
Old 02-26-2016
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
06 EX Mild Mods has a spectacular aura about06 EX Mild Mods has a spectacular aura about06 EX Mild Mods has a spectacular aura about
Re: Buzz in floor and steering

After this front end work did you get the alignment done? If not I recommend this which I did after my suspension overhaul, see my post. Provide more details - what year Civic, how many miles. CV axles, wheels balanced, motor mounts, a few other ideas.
Old 02-26-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Ok so there's this buzzing like vibration at all speeds that I can feel in the floorboard (gas pedal, brake pedal) and the steering wheel, also any imperfections in the road I feel in the steering wheel and pedals.
choppy tire tread and overinflated tires? haha
Old 02-26-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by 06 EX Mild Mods
After this front end work did you get the alignment done? If not I recommend this which I did after my suspension overhaul, see my post. Provide more details - what year Civic, how many miles. CV axles, wheels balanced, motor mounts, a few other ideas.
Yes it's aligned, 2011 civic coupe, 36k, wheels are balanced too. New tires.
Old 02-27-2016
The legs in the public bathroom stall

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
mcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to behold

Did you have the suspension loaded when you tightened up the lower control arm bushings?
Old 02-27-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by mcnoople
Did you have the suspension loaded when you tightened up the lower control arm bushings?
Yes. It's gotta be a mount or subframe bushing. The higher the rpm the worse it gets
Old 02-27-2016
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Engine trans mounts?
Old 02-27-2016

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

What year car? 06-10 probably needs the engine mount on the passengers fender
Old 02-28-2016
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
06 EX Mild Mods has a spectacular aura about06 EX Mild Mods has a spectacular aura about06 EX Mild Mods has a spectacular aura about

Do you have or know of any posted regarding changing out the motor mount? This may be my problem as well, I had hoped that my recent suspension overhaul had cured this, but it is still the same. Mine is more of a mild popping sound (like some thing is definitely lose) especially at slow speeds on rough roads coming from the passenger side front.
Old 02-28-2016

Originally Posted by 06 EX Mild Mods
Mine is more of a mild popping sound (like some thing is definitely lose) especially at slow speeds on rough roads coming from the passenger side front.
Could certainly be the mount, there's a bulletin regarding the various ways it can fail and rattle/knock is one of them.

I thought someone had posted a description of replacing the mount somewhere around here.... Not positive, but do a search for it. I know there's a pair of pics of a collapsed mount I've reused several times here.

You'd need some 10, 14, 17, 19mm stuff, mostly sockets and the like.....and a floor jack with a chunk of 2x4 to lift/hold the engine up. A little bit of muscle. Maybe a prybar.

Found someone elses descriptions here too:
The day after the part arrived, I replaced it in an hour's time. Problem Fixed. There really was not a lot to the whole process.

Materials:
Floor Jack and piece of wood
14mm, 17mm, 19mm sockets (I may have left one out, someone correct me if I did)
Breaker Bar (Or some metal pipe)
A combination of a couple of extensions

I took the upper dogbone off, and then I rolled the jack under the engine with a thin piece of wood on the jack plate. I jacked the jack right up against the engine. Just be sure not to jack the engine too much, just enough for a little support. Disassemble engine mount. I had to use a little creative manipulation of hoses and a ground wire to get the mounts out and in. Reverse actions to replace the new one. I had to gently raise and lower the jack a couple of times as I tightened the new down in order to get the engine into its original position.
Old 02-29-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Could certainly be the mount, there's a bulletin regarding the various ways it can fail and rattle/knock is one of them.

I thought someone had posted a description of replacing the mount somewhere around here.... Not positive, but do a search for it. I know there's a pair of pics of a collapsed mount I've reused several times here.

You'd need some 10, 14, 17, 19mm stuff, mostly sockets and the like.....and a floor jack with a chunk of 2x4 to lift/hold the engine up. A little bit of muscle. Maybe a prybar.

Found someone elses descriptions here too:
Update. Had a mechanic drive the car and open the hood and check motor mounts. He said they are all good... He also says he doesn't feel the vibration..
Old 02-29-2016

Originally Posted by Wariogamer
He also says he doesn't feel the vibration..
You can't just turn someone loose with the car and hope.

You gotta take the mechanic for a ride and demonstrate the issue to the person.
Point it out and make sure they know exactly what you are after, so everyone is on the same page.