Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Problem with remote key/locks

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kigoral is an unknown quantity at this point
Problem with remote key/locks

Today I took out my ignition lock cylinder and got a locksmith to replace the wafers and springs. Upon reinstall, the car now beeps at me (same as if keys are in ignition when I open door), the buttons on the fob don't lock/unlock. The button for locks in the vehicle will unlock, but not lock. If I manually lock with the driver side, it still locks all the doors, so doesn't seem to be a power problem.

It is a 2007 civic ex.

Please help
Old 02-06-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Problem with remote key/locks

Take it back to the locksmith and explain this: The "key in" switch on that lock is stuck on for some reason.

Unless you installed the plastic rings on the end of the lock yourself. If you didn't get them installed correctly you could have the pin for the switch hung up.
Old 02-06-2016
Registered!!

Thanks for the reply. So that switch is definitely inside the lock cylinder? There is no way that I just put it back on wrong?
Old 02-07-2016

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

It is on the outside of the lock cylinder.

There are 2 black items (rings?) that attach to the end of the lock and fit over the end of the key cylinder, each has a wire connector.
After removing the assembly from the steering column, these are held on with ....maybe 4 small screws.

One ring is the immobilizer and keyless unit (white wire harness connector according to this diagram I see),

the other part with the green wire connector is used for the key switch and one or two other things (warning beeper, an illumination control, and interlock solenoid on cars with auto trans).

There is a tiny little pin that sticks out of the 'key switch' ring and it is supposed to fit into an area on the lock cylinder with a small plunger that moves when the key is inserted. That plunger pushes on the pin for the switch.

Yes it could have gone together wrong if you assembled this part.
Not completely wrong but not quite in place is probably more likely and the switch pin is probably stuck in(?).
Did all the screws fit easily when it went together?
Didn't break off the tiny exposed pin for the switch?
Little plunger is still in place?
Old 02-07-2016
Registered!!

I just want to get clear here.
I didnt do anything beyond removing connectors and the part that looks a bit like a bow at the end with the brown connector. I took that whole part that came off to the locksmith, and touched no further screws. Is it inside of that assembly that you are talking about?
Old 02-08-2016
Registered!!

Sorry, I imagine my last post was very low in information, and thus could not yield any sort of plausible answer.

I did some taking apart of the whole thing, and took some pictures.
What I figure is this:

In picture 1, there is a little pin that gets pressed down (up, technically?) that lets the ignition know a key has been inserted.

Name:  qQqIvtY.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  678.4 KB

In picture 2, there is a latch that, when you insert the key, I am assuming should spring up, to push that pin in.

Name:  4b8pIrW.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  982.6 KB

The problem, is that latch in picture 2 is always up. Maybe a spring is missing?

How would I explain this to the locksmith, with the proper technical words regarding the situation?

Last edited by ezone; 02-08-2016 at 11:33 PM. Reason: inserted pics
Old 02-08-2016

In picture 1, there is a little pin that gets pressed down (up, technically?) that lets the ignition know a key has been inserted.
Yes, good picture too.

In picture 2, there is a latch that, when you insert the key, I am assuming should spring up, to push that pin in.
I assume yes, I can't see the rest of the lock and you can..
(I guess in my other posts I was thinking of the construction of some other assemblies I have been seeing more of recently, not quite the same but similar.)

How would I explain this to the locksmith, with the proper technical words regarding the situation?
Exactly the same as you did here.

That bar or rod (whatever it is, point at it) needs to move the switch (point again) when the key is inserted and removed ---and right now it is stuck up and doesn't seem to move at all. ???

Basically explain the switch is now stuck on all the time because that bar isn't moving correctly. Let them figure out what happened.
Old 02-08-2016
Registered!!

Yeah so when I put the key in, it doesn't move. I can press it down, but it springs back up.