Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Steering wheel and front bushing question

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dragonwalker is an unknown quantity at this point
Steering wheel and front bushing question

I have a 2009 Honda Civic LX with 60,000 miles. I do about 50/50 between highway and local streets driving and been averaging less than 10K miles a year. I drive very conservatively.

In the last few months I've been noticing that when I'm driving straight, the steering wheel is not aligned perfectly forward and I have to actually keep it slightly turned in order to keep the car straight. It's very minor.

I believe this is not to uncommon to happen. Is this something that needs to be addressed? What is causing this to happen and how did it happen? How much would it typically cost to repair this?

Also, I remember in 10/2014 when I went in for an oil change. The mechanic said that something about the front bushing starting to crack. He didn't make it sound like a big deal now but giving me a heads up that it will need to be addressed eventually. What does cracking of the front bushing mean and how critical is it to get that changed? Is that typical for a car at 60K miles? How much should that cost?
Old 12-29-2015
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: Steering wheel and front bushing question

I am supposing you never did align your car... recommended is once a year, extended is two at most.

Get it in for alignment!

They can show you the bushing while at it.
Old 12-29-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dragonwalker is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok, I'm planning to bring it in for that. That's funny no one ever mentioned I should have that done even at the dealership. So I haven't had it done once in the entire time I owned the car.

Also, how much do you think it would be to replace/repair the bushings? I'm planning to bring it to a non-dealership ship that specializes in Hondas/Acuras, do you think I should mention the bushing issue or see if they will come to the same conclusion after a general inspection of the car?

They also quote me $89.99 for an alignment. Seems high as I know a guy who has a shop that says he can do it for $50.
Old 12-29-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

do you think I should mention the bushing issue or see if they will come to the same conclusion after a general inspection of the car?
Don't play those damn games. If you know there's an issue you need to mention it. Not everyone ever notices the same stuff.

Tell them "Hey, someone told me bla bla bla can you please check that out?"
Old 12-29-2015
The legs in the public bathroom stall

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
mcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dragonwalker
They also quote me $89.99 for an alignment. Seems high as I know a guy who has a shop that says he can do it for $50.
Our rate is $100 for a 5 wheel alignment.

I might know a guy that will sell you a baggie of something for $20, but that doesn't mean he can do an alignment. There are many alignment techs and service writers and customers that will see an "all green" alignment sheet and think that it means the alignment is correct. A car can be "in spec" and shred the tires or pull badly. You have to know how to properly read and interpret those numbers to perform a quality alignment on a car to correct an issue.
Old 12-29-2015
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

In other words, shop around. Prices change depending on your location.

Prices for bushings can be found online easily. But what is pricey is the labor to remove old ones and install them. They are pressed in.

If you never aligned the car in 60k miles... well, ask around you friends, etc for good shops... and follow what they say. Internet help is only good if you know what you are doing yourself which does not sound likely... (exception to if they ask an arm and a leg).
Old 12-29-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mcnoople

I might know a guy that will sell you a baggie of something for $20,
First hit is free?
Old 12-29-2015
The legs in the public bathroom stall

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
mcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ezone
First hit is free?
Whatever do you mean?