Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

06 Civic Blowing Warmer/Hotter Air Than Outside?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
steelfan95 is an unknown quantity at this point
06 Civic Blowing Warmer/Hotter Air Than Outside?

Hey Folks,

This is something I actually noticed over the winter. When I turn just the regular vent (not a/c) on it's actually a lot warmer than the air temp outside. I don't have it on recirculate so it should be the fresh air from outside.

Also, now that it's summer and I'm using the a/c, it's not nearly as cold as it used to be. The system has been charged so the coolant level is good.

Any thoughts as to why if it's on vent or a/c the temp coming out is not optimal?

Thanks!
Old 06-18-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 06 Civic Blowing Warmer/Hotter Air Than Outside?

I don't have it on recirculate so it should be the fresh air from outside.
It's sucking air from below the cowl panel and it can pick up a lot of engine compartment heat before it finds its way into the blower inlet area.

and I'm using the a/c, it's not nearly as cold as it used to be
Use recirculate, not fresh?
Old 06-18-2015
Registered!!

steelfan95 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ezone
It's sucking air from below the cowl panel and it can pick up a lot of engine compartment heat before it finds its way into the blower inlet area.

Use recirculate, not fresh?
I've toggled between the two (recirculate/fresh) and the temp is the same regardless.

What I forgot to add is that whether the temperature dial is on the coldest setting or 4-6 notches towards the red/heater, it yields the same temperature. I don't really feel a difference in the air until it's close to halfway between cold and hot.
Old 06-18-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

The HVAC case could have a blend door stuck or obstructed, bad or sticking actuator, etc. Might need to do some more investigating.

For what it's worth, the AC might not have been correctly charged or it could have leaked some out.
Old 06-19-2015
Registered!!

Tim1959 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by steelfan95
Hey Folks,

This is something I actually noticed over the winter. When I turn just the regular vent (not a/c) on it's actually a lot warmer than the air temp outside. I don't have it on recirculate so it should be the fresh air from outside.

Also, now that it's summer and I'm using the a/c, it's not nearly as cold as it used to be. The system has been charged so the coolant level is good.

Any thoughts as to why if it's on vent or a/c the temp coming out is not optimal?

Thanks!
On my '99 Civic, the vent temp was 21 degrees HIGHER than ambient (cruising at highway speed, fan on MAX, heat & A/C OFF)! I discovered yesterday that the "water valve" (heater control valve) was leaking coolant into the heater core with the dash control in the full OFF position, contributing to my AC vent temp being too high. I will replace the valve.