Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

09 Civic DX Stalls When Idling

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Big Dutch is an unknown quantity at this point
09 Civic DX Stalls When Idling

I have been having issues with my 09 Honda Civic DX stalling when I'm at a stop. Lately, the car has been idling pretty roughly when I come to a stop. Last weekend was the first time the car actually stalled. I tried starting the car back up a few times, but each time it stalled out again. I was told by a mechanic that the car was low on oil which was causing the timing to be thrown off and causing the car to stall. Fortunately it was right about the time for me to change the oil. After changing the oil a few days ago, the car didn't seem to have any issues. But today, the car started idling pretty roughly when I came to a stop. Every time I came to a stop, the rpm started to drop really low and it felt like the car was about to stall, but didn't...

I am by no means a car aficionado, so you'll have to bear with me... But I'd love to learn more about my car, and would appreciate anyone's help. Here's what I've seen that causes the car to stall/idle roughly:

1) It only happens when I come to a stop and am idling (but still in Drive)

2) When I got home i tried playing around with the AC to see if there was an issue with the AC Clutch Relay. When the issue does show up, it seems like turning the AC off (from the On position) causes the RPM to drop below the normal idling range and idle pretty roughly for a few seconds. However, when I turn the AC on/off, it seems like the AC Clutch is turning On/Off just fine.

3) While i was looking around the car to try and listen for a vacuum leak, i did notice a steady drip coming from below the car. I can't tell what it was that was leaking though...

Love to hear what you guys think!
Old 06-03-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 09 Civic DX Stalls When Idling

Is it low on oil again?
Old 06-03-2015
Registered!!

It's not at a point where it would hurt the engine or anything, but the oil seems to be a little low seeing as it was just changed... It's a couple of mm above the bottom limit.
Old 06-03-2015

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

i did notice a steady drip coming from below the car. I can't tell what it was that was leaking though...

but the oil seems to be a little low seeing as it was just changed... It's a couple of mm above the bottom limit.
You don't think the low oil and leak are related to each other, do you?

Why is the oil low if you JUST had it changed? Leak? Lame lubie kid?

Return and get it filled to the top line. Check it yourself to be positive.
Then check it regularly to see how quick it disappears.

Lately, the car has been idling pretty roughly when I come to a stop. Last weekend was the first time the car actually stalled. I tried starting the car back up a few times, but each time it stalled out again.
Check engine light on? Codes?

Did the battery die or get disconnected shortly before this issue began?

Maybe it needs to do an idle relearn?
Old 06-07-2015
"Honda - tried, true & tested...!"

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
brags is an unknown quantity at this point

hmm....... could just need a good throttle body cleaning..?
Old 06-09-2015
Registered!!

I don't think the low oil and the leak are related... I checked the puddle, and I don't know what it was, but it wasn't oil. However, I don't know enough to be able to say they should or should not be related. For the last week or so I haven't seen any leaks.

I added more oil to the car to make sure it had enough. I haven't seen the oil level drop at all...

The check engine light isn't on, and there aren't any codes.

The car doesn't seem to have any issues when driving now, however, the car is struggling when I turn it on. It seems like the motor is turning, but it takes a few seconds for the engine to actually start.
Old 06-09-2015

I checked the puddle
Could be water from running the AC?

The car doesn't seem to have any issues when driving now, however, the car is struggling when I turn it on. It seems like the motor is turning, but it takes a few seconds for the engine to actually start.
2 thoughts come to mind:

High octane (premium) gas can make them rough to start, so can crummy gas.
Make sure it's on regular 87 octane gas from a big name station, preferably Top Tier.

http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html

If you're already running with 87 octane gas, then

Second thought is idle relearn.
Disconnect the battery and wait 10 minutes, then reconnect and let it do an idle relearn. (Make sure you have the radio code if necessary.)
Start it up, warmed up engine, radiator fan cycles twice (I just drive it around til its at full operating temperature)
then let it run with all electrical loads and accessories OFF.
Run for 10 minutes like this, and if the fan comes on then stop the timer and resume when the fan shuts off.

Since your car has electric throttle there's a chance you could get in trouble if you attempt to clean it without being able to do calibration procedures afterwards if necessary. I'd hate to say clean it and cause more problems than it had to begin with.