Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

06 EX Sever Tensioner Failure

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2015
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
06 EX Mild Mods has a spectacular aura about06 EX Mild Mods has a spectacular aura about06 EX Mild Mods has a spectacular aura about
06 EX Sever Tensioner Failure

A couple of weeks back I was returning home from my brothers house about a ½ hour away on a cold rainy day, about a ½ mile away from my house the car started to make a terrible racket like the motor was about to blow. I limped it home and into the garage. It appeared that the serpentine belt was badly frayed on one side. Upon closer investigation the belt tensioner mounting bolt broke off in the block, the belt then became a band saw and cut the tensioner in half. This was a difficult costly repair, but at least I was able to get the car home and repair it with the help of my brother saving significant repair labor costs. The water pump was replaced as well since I was this far into that area of the engine.

Attached Files
Old 02-17-2015
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: 06 EX Sever Tensioner Failure

Man that's crazy!! How many miles were on the tensioner?
Old 02-17-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

It happens, it's a known issue, and there were various "product updates" on some of the early cars for the water pump pulley, flange, bolts, belt and routing, and tensioner bolt.

It's imperative that you follow torque specs on that Allen bolt.
Old 02-19-2015
Registered!!

06 EX Mild Mods has a spectacular aura about06 EX Mild Mods has a spectacular aura about06 EX Mild Mods has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by ezone
It happens, it's a known issue, and there were various "product updates" on some of the early cars for the water pump pulley, flange, bolts, belt and routing, and tensioner bolt.

It's imperative that you follow torque specs on that Allen bolt.
The belt slipping part way off the pulleys also damaged the water pump pulley which I replaced as well. About only 58K miles.
Old 02-19-2015
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
jordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nice

58k miles for an '06?

Nice.

My 2006 is closing in on 120k.
Still runs perfect; and the only major repair was a new starter.
Old 02-22-2015
Registered!!

Living close to work has that advantage, still think it's pretty sorry that the tensioner assembly bolt broke at all, but especially after so few miles.