Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2008 civic lx - Tensioner/pulley noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
itsfighter is an unknown quantity at this point
2008 civic lx - Tensioner/pulley noise

Hi Guys,

For last few months I am noticing a mild noise (bell kind of sound - not very intense)after starting in the morning and in the evening after parking for long hrs(after work) which only lasts for 2-3 minutes. i initially thought its because of the colder temp and will go away but its still there. it increases slowly when you press the accelerator (within that 2-3 mins). My friend asked me to change the tensioner pulley assembly (Part# 31170-RWK-025) which might be the good place to start. Dealer quote $400.

So any idea what might me the reason for the noise and should I just wait until it becomes worst. Now the delaer cant even reproduce the noise since it goes away within 2-3 mins of drive. Should I just replace the tesioner pulley assembly and go from there. I purchased an extended warranty on my car so i can find out whether its covered. Any thoughts.

Link to video (tried to capture the noise).

Thanks in advance and appreciate your answers
Old 02-22-2015
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
06 EX Mild Mods has a spectacular aura about06 EX Mild Mods has a spectacular aura about06 EX Mild Mods has a spectacular aura about
Re: 2008 civic lx - Tensioner/pulley noise

See my "06 EX Sever Tensioner Failure" post. Keep an eye on the temperature gauge if it starts making a lot of noise, if the tensioner fails and the belt isn't driving the water pump it could be disastrous quickly.
Old 02-22-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RIPSAW has a spectacular aura aboutRIPSAW has a spectacular aura about
Re: 2008 civic lx - Tensioner/pulley noise

My thought is it would be helpful to put a stethoscope on it to really isolate the noise. You sound video is worthless. Spray a little talcum (baby power ) on the belt. That will eliminate the belt noise. My belt on my CRV at 80K was making noise. New belt fixed it. However, if it's your tensioner bearing, or an idler bearing if there is one should be replaced. Use Honda parts only.