Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

08 Civic Lx - 67K - Roller/Belt noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
itsfighter is an unknown quantity at this point
08 Civic Lx - 67K - Roller/Belt noise

Hi Guys,

For last two months I am noticing a mild noise (bell kind of sound - not very intense)after starting in the morning and in the evening after parking for long hrs(after work) which only lasts for 2-3 minutes. i initially thought its because of the colder temp and will go away but its still there. I think its only when I shift it to drive no noise on Neutral (not sure at least i can't hear it).

I asked Mr.tire to check the pulleys and belt for any movements or issues and they said everything is fine and since its a mild noise which only lasts for 2-3 minutes theres nothing to worry immed and asked me to wait until it gets little constant / worse. Dealer and another napa mechanic also said the same.

I am little bit concerned about something break down/fail during driving. Any idea what would be the reason for the noise and why it happens only when i put it in drive and why only lasts for 2-3 mins. Do I need to fix anything immediately? I got a quote to change the roller tensioner and its around $300. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-02-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 08 Civic Lx - 67K - Roller/Belt noise

I asked Mr.tire to check the pulleys and belt for any movements or issues

Dealer and another napa mechanic
Did you dictate what area to look at each time?

Or did anyone actually get asked to figure out the noise, and actually get to witness the noise that you are concerned with?
Old 08-03-2014
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Did you dictate what area to look at each time?

Or did anyone actually get asked to figure out the noise, and actually get to witness the noise that you are concerned with?
I just asked him to check the serpentine/ drive belts and the pulleys/rollers. It happens only 2-3 mins so by the time I drive there its gone so they can't actually witness the noise unless i drop the car overnight..

I also forgot to mention it also increases when I press the accelerator (only within the 2-3 minutes)

Last edited by itsfighter; 08-03-2014 at 10:16 AM.
Old 08-03-2014

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

so they can't actually witness the noise unless i drop the car overnight..
This needs to happen, and realistically it may need to happen a few times to track down the source.
3 minutes is not much time when it comes to troubleshooting. That might be just enough time to verify the noise, drive the car in the shop, and open the hood. Then it quits making noise and the mech is stuck.

I also forgot to mention it also increases when I press the accelerator (only within the 2-3 minutes)
Power steering fluid not low? Does the noise change when you turn the wheel? Does the noise change a lot when you turn the AC on and off?

None of this sounds familiar yet, I don't really have any guesses.
Old 08-03-2014
Registered!!

This needs to happen, and realistically it may need to happen a few times to track down the source.
3 minutes is not much time when it comes to troubleshooting. That might be just enough time to verify the noise, drive the car in the shop, and open the hood. Then it quits making noise and the mech is stuck.

Power steering fluid not low? Does the noise change when you turn the wheel? Does the noise change a lot when you turn the AC on and off?

None of this sounds familiar yet, I don't really have any guesses.
Power steering fluid is not low its on the upper level marker but its little brown color. Even dealer checked all fluid levels last month.

I didn't notice any difference when I turn the wheel.

Yes the noise change a lot when you turn on A/c - ie., it increases when i turn on a/c and also when I apply accelerator (in drive only withing that 2-3 mins). Also during rainy days/very cold temps I usually hear a squeak noise from belt for 3-4 seconds and that too go away after some time.

Any thoughts. not sure whats going on If not I need to wait until it becomes constant or little worse..

Last edited by itsfighter; 08-03-2014 at 01:04 PM.
Old 08-03-2014

Hondas PS fluid looks like motor oil to begin with.

Squeak on a wet start might be average, the belt can get when it rains if the wind is right. My 12 Civic does the same thing sometimes too.

Belt tension? Aftermarket belt? Water pump leakage?
AC pulley bearing bad? Pulley walks side to side instead of spinning dead straight and true?
If I thought is was something in the belt driven stuff, I might remove the belt and spin and check movement in all the drive pulleys by hand.
Old 08-03-2014
Registered!!

Hondas PS fluid looks like motor oil to begin with.

Squeak on a wet start might be average, the belt can get when it rains if the wind is right. My 12 Civic does the same thing sometimes too.

Belt tension? Aftermarket belt? Water pump leakage?
AC pulley bearing bad? Pulley walks side to side instead of spinning dead straight and true?
If I thought is was something in the belt driven stuff, I might remove the belt and spin and check movement in all the drive pulleys by hand.
Thanks for your reply. I will try to take it to the nearby napa mechanic and ask him to check the belt tension and pulleys/rollers.