Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2011 EX-L Trans. Fluid Change

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jm11 is an unknown quantity at this point
2011 EX-L Trans. Fluid Change

Hello all! I purchased my '11 Civic with 36,500 and it now has 54,470 miles. Yes, the transmission fluid is overdue and I'm aware of that and getting that fixed right now. Here's what I'm wondering: I am doing the drain and fill which is for 3 qts. of fluid according to the board. Will I need to do this several additional times to make certain all new fluid is in the transmission? I'm not really familiar with the fluid amounts as this is my first Honda. I hope all this makes sense. If not, leave a question below and I will respond. Typing all this on an IPhone is not the optimum thing to do.
Old 07-19-2014
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light
Re: 2011 EX-L Trans. Fluid Change

You're not really overdue for a Tx fluid chane at all, although you certainly can do it! Many cars go for 100k+ miles without ever having it changed... mine went 150k before I did it, although I DO have a 5 speed.

Originally Posted by jm11
Will I need to do this several additional times to make certain all new fluid is in the transmission?
What you're talking about is a flush. You can do that if you want, but it'll cost you more. A simple drain and fill will be more than sufficient. Just drain the old and replace it with the new. Unless there's some hardcore damage going on (you'd see a whole lotta metal in the old stuff), the small amount of old fluid left in your transmission will be negligible. I DO recommend using OEM fluid, though.