Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2010 Sedan Seats. Hope you guys can come through for me!

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DexteRS is an unknown quantity at this point
2010 Sedan Seats. Hope you guys can come through for me!

I recently helped a friend get into a new car. He chose the 2010 civic sedan. He traded in a 2001 buick pos. We test drove it and it was fine. But he has been complaining relentlessly about his seat. He drives about 40 minutes to work everyday and said it is giving him some serious back pain. I mean, it sounds like it is literally killing him. He said we didn't notice it during the test drive because the test drive wasn't long enough. I feel terrible because I'm the person that helped him choose this car based on reliability, low cost, etc. He knows nothing about cars, so as the only "car guy" in our circle of friends, I tried to help him out. He is coming from the buick which literally has a damn couch for a drivers seat. He is about 5'10", thin and lean.

While I respect the capability of Civics, I know nothing about them as far as generation, compatibility, differences in models, etc. as I am a Subaru guy.

So, my question is- what would be the best alternatives for a driver seat? Aftermarket seems so expensive. Is there a higher trim civic that would be bolt-on compatible with this car? Like the Si or Lx seats? (not sure if they are different) And what years would work, 06-2011? This needs to be cost efficient as well. I looked at honda genuine parts and it looks like he could buy only the back section of the Si seat for $95. Although I would probably just recommend he do both back and seat sections in that case so it matches. A used Si seat would be even better I would presume. But how does he find a seat when you're not really able to test them out before you buy?

I hope I'm not breaking a ton of forum rules here. I couldn't find a newbie section, so I hope this is the right area. And I'm sure I sound like an idiot as I'm at work and typing this in a rush.

Are these 2010s known for this issue at all?

Thank you for any help, seriously.
Old 09-11-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2010 Sedan Seats. Hope you guys can come through for me!

Similar lack of comfort issue here.

Got out of a Park Avenue LB (Land Barge) and into a 12 Civic.
THEN I put 18's and lo profile tires on
Ride is ungodly harsh compared to the Buick, I'm tellin' ya. It took me over a year to get used to it.

Drove several 12s prior to deciding to get one.
First long trip--- my back was killing me. (I already had back troubles that week, that trip just made it so much worse.)

Scored one of these recently

Made a ton of difference just on the daily. Haven't made a long trip since I got it though.

There's several variations of this too, google 'lumbar support for car' and see what comes up.

If I ever happen across a FREE set of Accord seats of similar vintage, I might attempt to shoehorn them into my car. The side airbag and OPDS systems might present a huge problem though.

Same goes for your friend if there is a seat swap; Non-OE configuration airbag stuff might become a huge liability if there is an accident, so choose carefully.

HTH