Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2007 Civic low speed vibration

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ray0502 is an unknown quantity at this point
2007 Civic low speed vibration

Hey All,

I have a 2007 honda civic, I am noticing a very little vibration when car goes from 25 to 30 km/h... The vibration does not occur if I am accelerating normally but if I am not accelerating very slowly it vibrates but again, if I press gas right away the vibration goes away.

The vibration is not very bad, but I was concern about the possible transmission issue. So I took the car to a transmission shop today.. They did some testing, and told me they would highly recommend me to rebuild the transmission costing ($1400-2800 CAD)..

I am not sure if the mechanic wants to make a big profit off me or is he right.. But he told me that computer readings were all ok, then he started looking at the car again and said that its a transmission issue.

I checked my transmission fluid, it was not very clean (pinkish), it has some brownish color to it.

Please advice what could be possible issues, like plugs or fluid, or solenoid problem.

Please advice.

Thanks
Old 01-09-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2007 Civic low speed vibration

Of course the trans shop wants to rebuild it.
"If the only tool in the box is a hammer, everything looks like a nail."

Someone who has never had to deal with this problem will probably SWAG at the trans overhaul needlessly.

Go to a dealer. Hopefully a good one.
An experienced dealer tech should be able to nail this in short order. Honda even gave us some real neat tools to help PROVE if it is the torque converter. The HDS Scantool and the Handy Job Aid called "Torque Converter Clutch Shudder and Vibration Job Aid" and is real handy.

Does the car have a ton of mileage on it? Low mileage?
Trans has never been serviced (drain and fill) or minimal service?

Here is my guess, based on knowing what these cars do:
If it is a shudder just after the trans makes a shift from 1st-->2nd, or 2nd-->3rd, it is probably the torque converter clutch causing it.
TCC shudder.

Step one is to service the fluid, a series of fluid changes with a case of Hondas ATF DW-1 is the preferred method. This is Hondas official method: (clicky read) http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/p0420/A080100.pdf
(The current fluid is now the DW-1, not Z-1.)

If that does not solve the problem, then the Torque Converter needs replaced. The trans does not need to be overhauled unless there is an actual problem with it.

HTH