Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Old Civic whines at high speeds - On a Road Trip - Help very much appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dean_moriarty is an unknown quantity at this point
Old Civic whines at high speeds - On a Road Trip - Help very much appreciated

So here are the basics-

94 Honda Civic - 1.7 liter
256,000 miles
Been on road trip for almost 7,000 miles.
Still have 800-1000 to go.
Recent maintenance- oil change (yesterday, all fluids topped off), catalytic converter replaced (no consequence but may have knocked something loose?)/new tires/tires rotated (before I left), new muffler put on (2000 miles into trip).

So today I am driving and I hear something over the music I am playing. I imagine that the engine was making this noise the past two days, but this is the first time I noticed it due to the heightened noise. It is a type of droning whine, although I hesitate to call it a whine because it has a 'rumbly' aspect to the whine. The only way I can describe it is: "ennnnghhhh". The sound is not overpowering.

I stopped the car at a rest stop and, in park, revved up the engine. Couldn't hear a thing. Checked all the fluids and they were fine. Checked the tire pressure and they were all at 3.5. Took it back on the freeway and, while I could hear the sound very minutely at around 50 mph, the sound became pronounced around 64-75 mph. Put the car at 70 mph on cruise control and kept going. (would have stopped immediately, but I didn't want to get caught near the hurricane.) When I stopped the car for gas I popped the hood again. I thought I noticed that the rubber belt in front (I'll just go ahead and admit that I know next to nothing about engines) seemed to be wobbling from side to side as it was churning.

Ok, so I need to know if I can make it another 1,000 miles (where I will not need the car for 6 months and can just sell it/ditch it) OR if I need to stop for repairs. Any help is REALLY REALLY appreciated, especially if I can get it tonight, as I have to make that call by tomorrow at 11 (EST). If anyone knows where to go for cheaper repairs too, that'd be equally amazing.

Thanks in advance. Y'all are champions.
Old 10-28-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dean_moriarty is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Old Civic whines at high speeds - On a Road Trip - Help very much appreciated

accidently posted this in the wrong forum but any help is still appreciated