Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Microchip keys, starting/security issue.

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2012
Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nweber911 is an unknown quantity at this point
Microchip keys, starting/security issue.

Hey everyone, I just recently bought my 2008 Civic EX, and it only came with 1 key and the key is pretty well beat up, so I called the Local Honda dealer and they told me it would be $150 for a new key, well the reason I am worried is because sometimes when I go to start my car the key security light will flash on and the car wont start but if I pull the key out and recycle the ignition a few times it fires right up. Any thoughts? Dealer said it was the key, are they just trying to make a quick buck?
Old 10-21-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Microchip keys, starting/security issue.

A fresh key is the first step, and it must be programmed to the car before it can start the engine.

The key with the remote for an EX is almost $60 list. Add a labor charge to cut it and program it, that's an easy $150 at many dealers.

A gray key without any remote is only about $20, but it still has to be cut and programmed. $$$.

Check a couple other dealers on price. We don't charge that much to do a single key, but I'm way out of your area.

You could call some locksmiths, many are now doing immobilizer keys if they spent some $$$ on tooling. I know my local smiths only have equipment to program the Big 3 car lines though.

HTH
Old 10-21-2012
Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nweber911 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ezone
A fresh key is the first step, and it must be programmed to the car before it can start the engine.

The key with the remote for an EX is almost $60 list. Add a labor charge to cut it and program it, that's an easy $150 at many dealers.

A gray key without any remote is only about $20, but it still has to be cut and programmed. $$$.

Check a couple other dealers on price. We don't charge that much to do a single key, but I'm way out of your area.

You could call some locksmiths, many are now doing immobilizer keys if they spent some $$$ on tooling. I know my local smiths only have equipment to program the Big 3 car lines though.

HTH
Okay thank you I will call around and see what I can find and ill post it up for opinions, thanks for the input!
Old 10-21-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I was thinking... I have seen very few real problems with the factory immobilizer stuff.....I see more issues caused by aftermarket remote start systems installed that messed with the factory immobilizer parts.
Might be worth a look.

Try taking the car key off of your ring and use it by itself. Metal nearby can interfere with reading the transponder chip inside the head of the key. So can other "chip" keys and transponders, like the old Mobil Speedpass fob.

But you should still have a spare key. You never know when you will lose your keyring.
I lost a ton of my keys (about 15) in traffic while riding the Hog to lunch earlier this year. They were all garbage by the time I was able to get to them, ran over by traffic. Lost a ring that belonged to my mother too, that pissed me off.

HTH