Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Cabin Air Filter Aftermarket Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jasen is an unknown quantity at this point
Cabin Air Filter Aftermarket Replacement

I know there are multiple threads on how to DIY with the cabin air filter as well as engine air filters etc.

My question for the cabin filter, is has anyone replaced thiers with a reusable filter like a K&N or the like? If so, which model?

I am going to be looking into this, but thought I would ask before I start heading down a path that's already been scouted many times before.

Thanks,
Jasen
Old 12-31-2011
Registered!!

johng35 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Cabin Air Filter Aftermarket Replacement

who makes a cleanable cabin filter ?

I change my paper one every six months, so I think a cleanable one would ne nice and save money in the long run, but it may not be worth the effort to clean, since changing it can be done in 2 minutes.
Old 12-31-2011
Registered!!

SpdySylvrEX will become famous soon enough

Take it out, take it to your local autozone, advanced auto or local auto parts store, go to the K&N section and start comparing yours vs theirs until you find a match....

I think you can even find the measurements on the box somewhere...
Old 01-04-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by SpdySylvrEX
Take it out, take it to your local autozone, advanced auto or local auto parts store, go to the K&N section and start comparing yours vs theirs until you find a match....

I think you can even find the measurements on the box somewhere...
That's what I am going to do. Was just curious if anyone had been down this route before. No sense in reinventing the wheel, ya know.

If I find one that will work, I will definitely post up and make the information public.
Old 01-04-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by johng35
who makes a cleanable cabin filter ?

I change my paper one every six months, so I think a cleanable one would ne nice and save money in the long run, but it may not be worth the effort to clean, since changing it can be done in 2 minutes.
I don't think anyone makes one specifically for this application. I did something similar in my Monaro and have saved a bit of cash in the long run in doing so. Besides, you don't have to clean them for a hundred thousand miles or something(I don't know the exact number off the top of my head, but it's something ungodly like that).
Old 01-04-2012
A true genius admits that he/she knows nothing.....CLOSED SAT/SUN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Gunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to all

While they say it last 100k miles it always depends on your conditions..in a perfect world filters hardly get dirty but if you live in a dusty area and what not they will get dirty faster...Obvious i know but hey... I am not sure if you have much to gain from using a cleanable filter other than saving 16 dollars every 6 months or so..

However you can clean most filters the same way you would a K&N filter as long as it is not paper..
Old 01-04-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Gunner
While they say it last 100k miles it always depends on your conditions..in a perfect world filters hardly get dirty but if you live in a dusty area and what not they will get dirty faster...Obvious i know but hey... I am not sure if you have much to gain from using a cleanable filter other than saving 16 dollars every 6 months or so..

However you can clean most filters the same way you would a K&N filter as long as it is not paper..
Yeah, I was just using K&N as an example. There are tons of aftermarket filters that aren't paper that will serve the exact same purpose. I know the aftermarket cabin filters I've found have all been paper. Yeah, it's just $16 or whatever every few months depending on where you live, but it does add up more quickly than one realizes.
Old 01-04-2012
A true genius admits that he/she knows nothing.....CLOSED SAT/SUN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Gunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to all

True, true.. just have to find a non paper filter...or like mentioned take it with you and find one that is as close a match as possible..
Old 10-24-2012
Registered!!

zenkurt is an unknown quantity at this point

Do you have any idea where I can buy disposable air filter? You know that your vehicle's motor has an air filter that keeps dust and grime from impeding the combustion procedure, thus hampering optimal motor function and decreasing fuel efficiency. Fewer individuals are conscious that there's a cabin air filter in newer vehicles that have to be replaced on a regular basis. Unless you like dust, soot, gases and other odors to circulate within the passenger compartment of your automobile as you drive, you need to know how to change a cabin air filter.