Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EnVDatChink is an unknown quantity at this point
check engine light

i recently installed a cold air intake that i got from a buddy at a used car dealer. the intake is made for my specific civic, which is a 2008 civic lx coupe straight drive. after a day of running the intake my car would shut off while i was driving and idles slightly lower than usual. after the check engine light came on i checked the code and got a po171 which would be lean air bank 1. i checked the pipe fpr any holes i double checked all the rubber hoses and everything looks to be properly installed. i really dont want to take it off and put the old one back on. anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?
Old 03-03-2012
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: check engine light

Try disconnecting the battery to reset the ECU. Leave the negative terminal off for a couple of minutes then put it back on and drive it.
Old 03-03-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: check engine light

The MAF sensor is either contaminated with oil or debris, or it can't handle wild temperature swings from hot/cold air.
OR there is a leak between the MAF and the throttle body.

Just because the CAI is "designed to fit" does not mean it is "designed to work properly".

Take out the MAF sensor and inspect it for bugs.
Spray out the sensing elements with brake parts cleaner, hope it was caused by too much oil in the air filter.
Reinstall the factory breather box and all of its tubing.