Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2008 civic lx growling noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
crzyskier311xxx is an unknown quantity at this point
2008 civic lx growling noise

Hey everyone, new to the site and tried doing a search for this and did not find anything on this issue. My 08 lx coupe has been making a strange growling sound ever since it hit 50,000 miles or so. The noise goes away once the car has been warmed up well. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Brian
Old 02-07-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2008 civic lx growling noise

While it is making the noise, go out and put your hand on the front edge of the hood. See if that's what is rattling.

Otherwise, look for a collapsed motor mount on the passengers end of the engine.

Post a video of the problem?
Old 07-01-2012
mur
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mur is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 2008 civic lx growling noise

I have a 2008 civic ex, automatic transmission, but I believe I have the same problem. When I start the car after it hasn't been driven for a while it makes a loud grinding/rumbling noise. As soon as I shift into drive, the noise becomes much quieter. As long as I am accelerating or stepping on the gas, I don't hear the noise. But if I take my foot off the gas I hear the grinding noise again. I took it to the dealer, but by the time I drove over there it was warmed up and wasn't making the noise anymore. I'm sure they thought I was just being crazy and lying about a problem. I've read quite a few of these so I think an engine mount might be the problem as well.