Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2008 Civic - Needs new clutch - suggestions please

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ghott is an unknown quantity at this point
2008 Civic - Needs new clutch - suggestions please

Long story short, my 2008 Honda Civic LX 1.8L 4-cylinder with 5-speed manual transmission needs a new clutch, flywheel, and throwout bearing.
Everything is shot at 66,500 miles...and I've owned the car for a grand total of 3 weeks. Dealership is doing nothing to help at all, so I'm looking for a less expensive option because this is all coming out of my pocket.

Is there any reason to use Honda parts over CarQuest parts for this? I found a guy that will do the work + parts for $230 less than the dealership wants, but he is using CarQuest clutch components rather than "Honda" components. The Carquest clutch components do come with a 1 year warranty on failures tho (not on wear/tear).

Any recommendations as to what clutch to actually get? These things are expensive and so is the labor...so I'm not trying to go too deep into my wallet. But I do want something that will last a long while.

Disclaimer: this is being used as a commuter car so a lot of miles will be going on the car...it isn't a Civic SI...so it won't need a performance clutch. I'll be driving my civic as easily as possible to get the most gas mileage out of it.

Thanks for any help.
Old 01-09-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2008 Civic - Needs new clutch - suggestions please

Sorry man.
The lifespan of a clutch depends entirely on the driver.
I sure wouldn't want to warranty a clutch for an unknown driver.
Unless the clutch was already slipping and/or had a high pedal, nobody could have known how bad the clutch was without pulling the trans, and nobody knows if the previous owner wore it out or if it was you.

One bad move can ruin a clutch in seconds.

I've never used aftermarket at the dealer on the cars we sell, but I rarely have had issues with aftermarket clutches in general. I make every attempt to use name brand clutches from reputable suppliers, I won't willingly install white box stuff.

Stick with a good well known name brand, not white box made in China.
Old 01-10-2012
A true genius admits that he/she knows nothing.....CLOSED SAT/SUN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Gunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to all
Re: 2008 Civic - Needs new clutch - suggestions please

^agree, the only problem with car quest type stuff is you dont know what kind of quality you are actually getting..sometimes you get what you pay for..Aftermarket parts can be good if you get the right ones..just research what you are buying and the company that makes it..