Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Any thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bikerboy1000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Any thoughts?

My wife and I bought a 2010 Civic about 6 months ago. It was an off lease. It had about 50000km on it. About 3 weeks ago, the stereo and key fob stopped working. The car doesn't have auto on/off headlights, but when they are left on and the car is off, it doesn't "ding". When we turn the car off, the needle on the tach "jumps" up. The interior lights and power locks don't work unless the battery is on! I originally thought it was the altenator going, but that's fine. I have checked all the fuses! My wife has tried a few times to get it in to the dealer, but being the primary vehicle, it has been difficult as they require a day just to diagnose the problem. I figure it is some sort of computer issue! Any thoughts?
Old 12-18-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
Re: Any thoughts?

It's very possible that it's a loose ground wire, a bad connection at the ground can play havok on the entire electrical system.
Old 12-18-2011
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bikerboy1000
When we turn the car off, the needle on the tach "jumps" up.
This part, along with the rest of the stuff that doesn't work, sounds like it blew one of the memory backup fuses in the underhood fusebox.
I bet the tach doesn't light up when you open the door either.

Car under warranty? (IDK what 50,000km equals in miles) Go to the dealer. Those fuses don't normally blow for no reason (unless you know what caused it), and the accessory socket (people blow that one all the time) isn't on either of those fuses.

You described how the cars act when we get them brand new off of the truck, before we do the new car check-in and plug in the 2 fuses #22and #23.

Check fuses 22 and 23 first. If those are good then continue checking all of the fuses in this box and the one under the dash.

Old 12-18-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bikerboy1000 is an unknown quantity at this point

Friggin' AWESOME! Thank you! That's strange! I checked all those fuses before! It was #23. Could barely tell it was blown! Thought I'd try it anyways, and it worked!
Old 12-18-2011
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

The classic "back up" fuse strikes again.
Old 12-18-2011
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CraigW
The classic "back up" fuse strikes again.
Customer: "But my car still goes in reverse! If the back up fuse blew then it shouldn't back up, right?"

Me: Facepalm.

Last edited by ezone; 12-18-2011 at 02:31 PM. Reason: What's up with " " turning into [quote]?
Old 12-19-2011
A true genius admits that he/she knows nothing.....CLOSED SAT/SUN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Gunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to all

Always check the simple stuff first..Glad to hear it is fixed.. ^LOL