Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2008 civic - new owner - few questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ghott is an unknown quantity at this point
2008 civic - new owner - few questions

Hi all...new civic owner here. I bought a 2008 Civic LX used with ~65,000 miles on it. It's a 1.8 engine with the manual transmission.

I have a couple of questions regarding things I've noticed in the short time I've had the car.

1.) It seems as if though the car vibrates a bit more in neutral at 750 - 800 RPM. The car doesn't vibrate at all at anything over 800 rpm...even when the car is cold and idling at ~1200 - 1300 rpm, it doesn't vibrate...only when it is warmed up completely and idles at 800 rpm does it vibrate noticeably. It doesn't vibrate in reverse or drive with the clutch engaged either.

2.) The car seems to hesistate when the throttle is applied liberally between 2500 and 3000 rpm. It doesn't "hesitate" below or above 2500 - 3000 rpm...only when the throttle is applied somewhat heavily in that 500 rpm span. It will only hesitate for a second and then smooths out...almost like the ECU is doing some sort of switching. It's only really noticeable in 4th or 5th gear. I had a 2007 subaru wrx-sti that had this same sort of issue...and it was just the nature of the beast.

I'm wondering if either of these issues is something to be concerned about or if it is just the nature of the car for the 1.8 manual.

Thanks for any help.
Old 12-19-2011
A true genius admits that he/she knows nothing.....CLOSED SAT/SUN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Gunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to all
Re: 2008 civic - new owner - few questions

8th gens tend to vibrate at low RPMs.. it is more noticable at stop lights..i beleive it has something to do with the quality of the motor mounts.. but if you are not throwing any codes and the car drive well then i would not worry about it yet..

The hesitation is harder to anaylze. from the way you describe it, it would seem that you are applying the gas and the car is trying to figure out when to shift, if you are not excelorating fast enough it will at an rpm and speed it should shift at but not quite there yet and it shakes or stutters..this is normal for 8th autos..I hope i explained it right, if not then let me know i can get more technical.

Post up some pics of the new car..any other issues you can think of let us know.
Old 12-19-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Gunner
8th gens tend to vibrate at low RPMs.. it is more noticable at stop lights..i beleive it has something to do with the quality of the motor mounts.. but if you are not throwing any codes and the car drive well then i would not worry about it yet..

The hesitation is harder to anaylze. from the way you describe it, it would seem that you are applying the gas and the car is trying to figure out when to shift, if you are not excelorating fast enough it will at an rpm and speed it should shift at but not quite there yet and it shakes or stutters..this is normal for 8th autos..I hope i explained it right, if not then let me know i can get more technical.

Post up some pics of the new car..any other issues you can think of let us know.
I don't believe the car is "throwing any codes" yet...I see no warning lights or indicators currently.

My 2008 is a manual transmission which is why the hesitation issue was a bit more concerning to me.

Thanks for the input Gunner!
Old 12-19-2011

Gunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to all

sorry i should have noticed you said manual at the bottom.

I know we have issues with 3rd gear on these transmissions.. If it is good on fluids and you think there is something wrong have it looked at... I dont have the manual tranny so I will see what i can dig up...
Old 12-19-2011

OK from what I have read on the 8th manual tranny, what you describe is normal. The manual has its suggested shift points in it as well.
this seems to be the norm.. Most people shift at about 3k for all gears but its your car so its however your comfortable..

2nd gear: lowest is 2000 RPMs
3rd and 4th gears: lowest is 2500 RPMs
5th and 6th gears: lowest is 3000 RPMs

"By "lugging," we mean that the engine is struggling to accelerate. How would you know it's struggling? Because when you step on the gas to accelerate, it doesn't go much faster. It might bog down, it might buck, it might lurch. Or you might get noises from the engine, like pinging or knocking. If any of those things are happening, you're going too slowly to be in fifth gear, and you need to downshift.
Old 12-19-2011
Registered!!

Thanks for the info Gunner, much appreciated.
Old 12-19-2011

NP hope it helps..