Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Vibration problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rainfall can only hope to improve
Vibration problem

Hello,

I have a 2009 Civic DX 4door. Runs like a charm but i am having some serious vibration problems. The problem only starts as i hit the highway and am driving above 120km. It fades in and out through the steering wheel. Its not violent but on a 5 hour drive it takes its toll on my hands thats for sure. At higher speeds like 130 - 140 same thing it fades in and out, in town at lower speeds nothing it runs smooth as can be. no one can seem to figure it out. I have done the following:

-Wheel Balance
-Wheel alignment
-Just bought brand new rims and tires and they were balanced and aligned.
-Just had my mechanic (this morning) look over the entire car everything from sway bar, wheel bearing, brakes, axles, balance weights. checked the body for lose fenders and couldnt find anything.

Does anyone have any suggestions please?? i thankyou in advance
Old 09-15-2011
Registered!!

07fijiblu is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Vibration problem

i have an 07 that does the same thing very annoying and very dangerous especially on the thruway it starts with mine every so often usually 5th or 6th gear
Old 09-27-2011
Registered!!

Ricerocket2381 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Vibration problem

Originally Posted by Rainfall
Hello,

I have a 2009 Civic DX 4door. Runs like a charm but i am having some serious vibration problems. The problem only starts as i hit the highway and am driving above 120km. It fades in and out through the steering wheel. Its not violent but on a 5 hour drive it takes its toll on my hands thats for sure. At higher speeds like 130 - 140 same thing it fades in and out, in town at lower speeds nothing it runs smooth as can be. no one can seem to figure it out. I have done the following:

-Wheel Balance
-Wheel alignment
-Just bought brand new rims and tires and they were balanced and aligned.
-Just had my mechanic (this morning) look over the entire car everything from sway bar, wheel bearing, brakes, axles, balance weights. checked the body for lose fenders and couldnt find anything.

Does anyone have any suggestions please?? i thankyou in advance
Feel the vibration and then take your foot off the gas pedal when the vibration is at its worst. If the vibration stops the issue is in the engine or tranny mounts. If the vibration stays the same then the tires are to blame. If the mechanic only static balanced your tires instead of an alloy 2 balance then you are going to have vibrations. Many shops will static balance to speed up the process. I won't because it doesn't balance the tire as true. By the way what size rims are they?