Electrical, Wiring, and In Car Entertainment Electrical, Wiring and In Car Entertainment questions belong here.

Where do I put a trans temp sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2019
Registered!!

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
D17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the rough
Where do I put a trans temp sensor?

Hello everyone, I am looking for a transmission oil temp gauge for my car. I am seeing that the gauges have different ways of attaching to the transmission. Some have a sensor that would go in the pan (or case on a Honda trans), while others measure the oil temp from the cooler line coming out of the transmission going to the cooler. Which one do I want? I presume I want to measure the temp of the oil exiting the transmission since it will be hotter than the temp of the oil in the pan (or case). I have heard that depending on load, the oil leaving the trans going to the cooler can be significantly hotter than the "bulk oil temp", or the temp of the oil in the pan or case, which makes sense to me. So where would you suggest that I put the temp sensor? Thanks in advance!
Old 12-15-2019
Registered!!

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
D17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the rough
Re: Where do I put a trans temp sensor?

To anyone wondering, what I decided to do is get a M18 x 1.5 to 1/8 inch adapter to screw the temp sensor into the transmission's drain plug hole. My logic for doing it this way is that the temp reading is pretty stable and takes a few minutes to change as conditions change rather than spiking up whenever I hit the gas like it would if I installed it in the line going to the cooler. While it would be nice in a way to know the temperature of the fluid in the torque converter, I decided that it would be too hard to know what the overall fluid temp is when it is going up and down all the time depending on load.
Old 12-17-2019
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Where do I put a trans temp sensor?

Cool 😁