Electrical, Wiring, and In Car Entertainment Electrical, Wiring and In Car Entertainment questions belong here.

Ground Wire Issue (High Mount Brake Light)

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JAyer1654 is an unknown quantity at this point
Ground Wire Issue (High Mount Brake Light)

Hello. I am definitely a beginner when it comes to working on cars, but the forum has helped my 5 minute light bulb change turn into a 5 hour light bulb change. The high mount brake light on my '06 Honda Civic LX coupe stopped working (the other 2 brake lights work). I changed the bulb and it still did not work. Using a multimeter, I was not getting a reading connecting to the 2 pins/terminals of the light bulb connector. Touching the light green wire with one probe and touching another probe to metal on the car, I was able to see the bulb was getting power when the pedal was depressed. This leads me to believe that it is an issue with the ground wire. I checked G701 grounding point in the truck, and all of the wires going into the grounding nut/bolt look to be connected. I measured the resistance between the grounding bolt and the ground terminal of the light bulb connector and got no response, so that leads me to believe there is an issue with the wire somewhere between the bolt and the connector. So, does it sound like I have gone about this and narrowed the problem down to the ground wire connection? If so, is there a good case to be made to run a new wire all the way back to the grounding point or should I just do a new shorter wire grounded to the trunk of the car? Thank you in-advance.
Old 07-15-2018
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: Ground Wire Issue (High Mount Brake Light)

Yes it sounds like you have discovered that it has a bad ground. As long as you were touching bare metal and not painted metal. Where you ground it is up to you. I would probably take it to it’s origianl spot.

You can verify your findings with some alligator clips and a wire. Connect to the bulb ground and to the chassis somewhere (no paint) and see it works when the pedal is pressed.