Electrical, Wiring, and In Car Entertainment Electrical, Wiring and In Car Entertainment questions belong here.

Hybrid Battery Issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cnmosier is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Hybrid Battery Issues

I have a 2008 Honda civic hybrid, 130k miles, good shape except...

In the 5 years I've had it, I've had 4, going on 5 (YES FIVE) different hybrid batteries in it, counting the original.
In 2014, my IMA light and check engine light came on. I took it into a repair shop and they said, sure enough, the hybrid battery is deteriorated. Need to replace, so everyone knows that like $3k. Awful, what whatever, we paid for it. Drove it off the repair lot and within 5 miles the IMA and check engine light came back on. Turned right around and they cleared the codes and the lights kept coming back on. So they said, oops, the manufacturer (Dorman) must have shipped you a bad battery. So they order a replacement (under warranty) and put it in, and seemed to be fine. Fast forward to 2017 and IMA light and check engine light come back on. Take it into a Honda dealership this time and they say, battery deterioration, need a new hybrid battery. Really?? Thank God it was still under the 3 year warranty, but just barely. Long story short, go back and forth with the retailer for 6 MONTHS that last shop purchased the battery, until they finally honor the warranty. So the dealership replaces the battery, and I drive it off the lot... within 5 minutes both IMA and check engine ligth are on. Again.. turn right around and back to the dealership, understandable frustrated. They clear the codes, of course the lights all come back on, and they pull the code POA7F, which apparently also means battery deterioration. So, they tell me... the manufacturer must have sent you a bad battery. You need to get it warrantied... again. Common, this can't be real! There's got to be something else that is causing this code, right? Someone said it could be the CPU is damaged?? I can't wait another 6 months for the retailer to finally get me another new battery, and now no one is returning my calls, and the dealership is telling me there is no other explanation and basically not to bring it back unless I have a new battery. Oh, and I paid over $1000 while it was at the dealership to get all new tires and fix a few other things because I need to sell this car, but no one is going to buy it with all these lights on. Please, someone help!!!
Old 02-10-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Hybrid Battery Issues

So you keep getting Dorman brand aftermarket batteries that are junk? Is that your issue?
Maybe you should just pony up and buy a good one from the Honda dealership.

P0A7F is one of several possible fault codes that mean replacing the IMA battery, no further diagnosis needed.