Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2007 Hybrid - Battery/IMA/Electrical Issue

Old 07-26-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
beachrunner is an unknown quantity at this point
2007 Hybrid - Battery/IMA/Electrical Issue

Hi folks,

My 07 hybrid has an issue in which the dash indicates that the battery is full when I park the car at night but when I start the car the next day, the dash indicates that the battery is completely drained. It takes several miles for the car to recharge and since my commute is short, my gas mileage has taken a decline and I've had a few near misses when the car doesn't accelerate like I expect.

Sometimes if I sit for a while at a light the fully charged battery will discharge again and I have to wait a few miles before it charges up again. It will also do this if I stop the car during the day while running errands - as soon as I come out and start the car 15 minutes later, the battery is depleted.

The dealer has not heard of this issue and before I spend $150/hr for them to guess what's wrong, I wanted to see if others have had a similar issue.

I greatly appreciate any help!
Old 07-27-2012
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2007 Hybrid - Battery/IMA/Electrical Issue

im only guessing, but if the car drives the same and there is no check engine or other lights on, then possibly the battery meter itself is defective and not the battery. 5 yrs for a hybrid battery is pretty rare. they usually last at least 10-15 yrs.
Old 07-31-2012
Registered!!

beachrunner is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the response. Is that the Control Unit? I was trying to locate what the part number was to get an idea of replacement cost.

Also, the dealer found an update for the car this weekend and I'm still not sure if that is helping the problem or making it worse. It does seem to do the recalibrations quicker but the gas mileage doesn't seem to be that different yet.
Old 07-31-2012
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

hmm well i know many newer 06+ hybrids had issues with low mileage even when working normally. there was a big lawsuit for false advertising where hybrids were barely getting the same mpg as regular gas civic.
Old 12-28-2012
newknees

newknees is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by beachrunner
Hi folks,

My 07 hybrid has an issue in which the dash indicates that the battery is full when I park the car at night but when I start the car the next day, the dash indicates that the battery is completely drained. It takes several miles for the car to recharge and since my commute is short, my gas mileage has taken a decline and I've had a few near misses when the car doesn't accelerate like I expect.

Sometimes if I sit for a while at a light the fully charged battery will discharge again and I have to wait a few miles before it charges up again. It will also do this if I stop the car during the day while running errands - as soon as I come out and start the car 15 minutes later, the battery is depleted.

The dealer has not heard of this issue and before I spend $150/hr for them to guess what's wrong, I wanted to see if others have had a similar issue.

I greatly appreciate any help!
I have the same problem now i hear the starter motor to start.
I was told that the gen. power unit starts the motor.
(The dealership I have little fath.)
as i go to remote aerias in victoria do i trust it or get a nother car.
Is there some problem and or do I ignore it.
Old 12-28-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by newknees
I have the same problem now i hear the starter motor to start.
I was told that the gen. power unit starts the motor.
(The dealership I have little fath.)
as i go to remote aerias in victoria do i trust it or get a nother car.
Is there some problem and or do I ignore it.
Quit bashing dealers. I work for one.

In extreme cold, the hybrid unit will NOT crank the engine using the IMA motor, nor will it use the IMA motor to start the engine when the hybrid battery pack S.O.C. (state of charge) is low.

It WILL crank the engine using the conventional 12v starter at those times.
Make sure your conventional 12v battery is in great shape.

Normal actions thus far.
These are the 2 main times you will ever hear the conventional starter operate while conditions are OK.

Some trouble codes will disable starting from the IMA motor.

If you have had the IMA warning light and/or the CEL on, get it checked.
Could easily need an IMA battery pack. Kind of sounds like one of the typical symptoms of a weak battery pack.
(NOTE: There MUST be a code related to IMA battery problems before we can replace it in 99% of the cases.)

In the USA, we just got a notice that the warranty was extended on the IMA batteries for an additional 2 years (+ some more miles) on most hybrid models. Call your dealer or Hondas Customer Assistance Hotline to find out more info.

There have been various software updates for the IMA systems and the PCM, and many are covered under warranty/recall/campaigns here.

Also, when it comes to electronics in these cars, you are stuck with a dealer unless you have some local shop that has invested HEAVILY in tooling and training for these cars.
Honest dealership personnel will let you know when things ARE covered by the manufacturers warranty.
An independent shop will not get the factory to pay for jobs under the warranty (for work that would have been covered). They will charge you accordingly....if they can do the work at all.

HTH