Blower motor only works when parking lights or headlights switch is turned on - Honda Civic Forum

Electrical, Wiring, and In Car Entertainment Electrical, Wiring and In Car Entertainment questions belong here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-26-2014   #1  
Registered!!

04CivicRAJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Blower motor only works when parking lights or headlights switch is turned on

I have a 2004 EX Coupe, lot's of after market wiring done by the previous owner. Gauges were installed and two wires were running to the inside fuse box under steering wheel. I believe them being loose and touching was blowing my 80 amp screw down under hood fuse. Anyways I took the gauges out and all the wires. The blower motor and lights to AC, defrost, all those console controls only come on now when I turn the headlight **** on one click for parking lights and also two clicks for headlights...why is this switch controlling power to the blower motor and all that? Here is a pic of where the two gauge wires used to be connected aftermarket..there was a red wire and a yellow wire, and if I remember correctly at one point, messing with the red wire would make the blower work as it is supposed to, without the lights being on..but that red wire just wentClick image for larger version

Name:	fuse04.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	86916 straight to power the gauges. Please help, and I'm sorry if this is confusing
04CivicRAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014   #2  
Allow me to explain through interpretive dance

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Blower motor only works when parking lights or headlights switch is turned on

The socket you circled in red is the "optional" connector.
It usually has 4 feeds in it: a constant battery power, an accessory power, an ignition power, and an illumination power. (Little documentation in the factory wiring diagrams though).

The socket you circled in yellow is labeled as being for accessory foglights.
Quote:
The blower motor and lights to AC, defrost, all those console controls only come on now when I turn the headlight **** on one click for parking lights and also two clicks for headlights..
Sounds like the lights do what they should, but the blower activity obviously is a problem.

Quote:
messing with the red wire would make the blower work as it is supposed to
Where did the other end of the red wire go to? Battery positive?

I'm gonna guess one (or more) of the fuses is blown, and the red wire was supplying that missing power feed to the dash fusebox through a different leg of the same circuit.

Check for fuse #14 (10 amp) in the dash fusebox, missing or blown.

Check ALL the fuses, any others blown? Any empty fuse holes that are not supposed to be empty? (check your fusebox charts!)

If that's not it, then you might need to determine which fuses are supposed to have constant battery power, switched ignition power, switched accessory power, etc. and use a voltmeter to see if they actually get powered up under the correct conditions.

HTH
ezone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014   #3  
Registered!!

04CivicRAJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Blower motor only works when parking lights or headlights switch is turned on

Thanks a lot, I will check all of the other fuses. I do suppose it could have blown more than one when that 80 amp blew and maybe that's why it is doing this again...the red wire was only going from the gauge wiring harness to the circled optional connector, same with the yellow wire.
04CivicRAJ is offline   Reply With Quote