Electrical, Wiring, and In Car Entertainment Electrical, Wiring and In Car Entertainment questions belong here.

Redoing my sound system

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Deparnieux is an unknown quantity at this point
Redoing my sound system

So this is the first time I've ever really done any work on my Civic. I drive a 2004 lx, I think that's what it is.

First off, I got a set of alpine speakers for my doors, I am not having any problems getting them mounted or anything, but I am also getting a new stereo, should I run some new wires, like Monster xp or something, or just keep the stock wiring? If I were to keep the stock wiring would I need an adapter or could I just solder and heat shrink it to the speaker cables?

Next, I'm having trouble with the back speakers, there is a plastic grill over them, but I can't pry it up or anything and I have no idea how it comes off.

Next, I was wondering if I should order a new stereo from clutchfield, or should I just go get one at walmart or bestbuy, Does it matter?

Sorry about all the noobie questions!
Old 04-03-2012
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,149 Likes on 803 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Redoing my sound system

The way I have my speakers wired up.. head unit is connected to my amp in the trunk via RCA cables, and I connected the amp output to speaker wires behind the radio itself instead of going all the way to the door. I was lazy at the time, but it works fine.

I also bought aftermarket speaker adapters to connect the stock wiring to my speakers. Go them at best buy or something.

as for access to your rear speakers..

if you have a coupe..
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...rear-deck.html

if you have a sedan...
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2...ers-sedan.html

keep in mind that the limiting factor is most likely gonna be your trunk springs.
Old 04-04-2012
Registered!!

Thanks for the advice! I got the old radio out, and I'm working on the wiring for the new one, I think I have this right, but I just want to make sure, I bought this adapter thing from walmart that plugs straight into the plug that was in the old radio, and then you attach all the wires to the wires that came with the new radio right? I took a picture of the adapter on the old wires, the new stereo has a plug with loose wires coming off it, just making sure they go onto the loose wires in this picture

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/813/001ktn.jpg/
Old 04-04-2012
\m_ Hawaiian _m/

molokaidiver is an unknown quantity at this point

yep. you pretty much just match colors and crimp them together or however ur going to connect them...

***edit***

in case you didn't know, there should be 4 sets of positive and negative wires for your speakers (i believe the colors are purple, grey, green, and white) and there should be 3 main wires for the deck (red = ignition/acc, yellow = battery/const. 12v, black = ground) and the blue wire is for an amp.

forgive me if i made a mistake or two but this is how i remember it...you might have an extra wire for illumination but from what i've seen and installed, there's no need for it...also, whatever wires you don't connect, either tape it up or put on a butt connector so it doesn't ground out when you push the deck back into your center dash...

lol, and one more thing, make sure you connect the antenna into the deck before you test it out because from what i've learned, the antenna sometimes acts as the main ground for some decks...so doing that will save you time and energy...i didn't know that until a few hours later when i couldn't think of any other reason of why the deck wasn't turning on...i simply plugged in the antenna for the radio and it turned on. hope this information helps.

Last edited by molokaidiver; 04-04-2012 at 09:13 PM.
Old 04-05-2012
Registered!!

Thanks mate, saved me there! I got all the wires soldered and taped up, my stereo and everything works great, but I've run into a bigger problem..

the stock speakers were mounted via clip straight to the metal of the door, and the speakers had a plastic mount thing on them, if I screw my new speakers straight into the metal of the door, I was told it will vibrate and rattle a ton, I was thinking of making a wood ring to place between the speaker and the door, any suggestions? If my idea is a good one would wood type matter? I appreciate all the help guys!
Old 04-07-2012
\m_ Hawaiian _m/

molokaidiver is an unknown quantity at this point

not too sure on that one...i would think just regular treated 3/4" plywood. i don't have that problem so i wouldn't know. try and google search "door speaker mount install" and see if there's any ones that use wood and see what kind of wood they use. I'm sure MDF wouldn't be used there because of all the weather factors (water dripping down in the door panel)...