Legal Questions and the Law Post your questions about the law, or speeding tickets or any legal issues here.
Disclaimer: Civicforums.com and it's moderators are not lawyers or police officers and can in no way be held responsible for any advice or action

Bought a used 2013 Civic today feel like the dealership did some unethical things?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nufc is an unknown quantity at this point
Bought a used 2013 Civic today feel like the dealership did some unethical things?

Hey guys,

Today I bought a used 2013 Civic EX. Once the receipt was printed my salesman mentioned that I had an additional 600 dollars added. One 300$ fee for etch the other for pulse. He said that they were required.

I quickly googled etch and saw that it was not required after pointing this out to him he said okay and removed it. I was wondering is pulse also required or did he lie to me about it?

Also, after I bought the car they only gave me one key and it didn't have a fob (he warned me just before filling out paperwork about the fob missing but not the second key). Should the dealership be expected to give me two keys at no additional charge?

Additionally, in the trunk there are a whole bunch of cords hanging down that the salesman told me that a previous owner probably had a sound system attached. Should they be expected to fix it so there aren't random cords everywhere?

Lastly, the front two seats had protective plastic/paper over the foot mats. After buying the car and seeing it with those removed I noticed that the front driver seats one had a big hole in it. I'm assuming its okay that I ask them to replace it?

They have a 3 day no questions asked return policy so I wanted to get a few of these things fixed if possible. What do you guys think?
Old 06-21-2015
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: Bought a used 2013 Civic today feel like the dealership did some unethical things

When buying a used car you get how ever many keys come in with the vehicle. You can negotiate a lower cost if there is only one set but they don't have to give you 2. I am surprised that the dealer did not clean the trunk area up for selling purposes but again they don't have to. They don't have to clean the car but they do because they want it to look nice for selling. Before buying the car you can ask them to replace the floor mat but if it is sold "as is" condition and you buy it then I don't think it is their responsibility after that.
Old 06-21-2015
Registered!!

Re: Bought a used 2013 Civic today feel like the dealership did some unethical things

Originally Posted by GolNat
When buying a used car you get how ever many keys come in with the vehicle. You can negotiate a lower cost if there is only one set but they don't have to give you 2. I am surprised that the dealer did not clean the trunk area up for selling purposes but again they don't have to. They don't have to clean the car but they do because they want it to look nice for selling. Before buying the car you can ask them to replace the floor mat but if it is sold "as is" condition and you buy it then I don't think it is their responsibility after that.
I definitely agree about what you are saying. However, do you happen to know if Pulse is truly required? Also, the hole in the front was hidden so I don't think that is really my requirement to find it?
Old 06-21-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nufc
Hey guys,

Today I bought a used 2013 Civic EX. Once the receipt was printed my salesman mentioned that I had an additional 600 dollars added. One 300$ fee for etch the other for pulse.
Etch? BS.
Only if you want a tracking number permanently etched into all the windows....And it's probably already been done, but maaaybe they don't send in the paperwork now that you declined it.

What is this "pulse" you speak of? BS.
He said that they were required.
Required by whom?
The sales managers, I'm sure.
These things are solely to generate extra revenue.
Anything and everything they do is all about getting more of your money.

Did you finance through the dealership? They make more money.
I was wondering is pulse also required or did he lie to me about it?
Without even knowing what 'pulse' is, I can tell you you heard it from a salesmaggot so it must be a lie. LOL

Also, after I bought the car they only gave me one key and it didn't have a fob (he warned me just before filling out paperwork about the fob missing but not the second key). Should the dealership be expected to give me two keys at no additional charge?
You only got a gray valet key?
The other two have built-in remotes.
The car came with two remote keys and one gray valet key when it was brand new.
Make them give you two correct keys at no additional cost to you. Keys cut AND programmed.

Should have come with the car, but maybe the previous owner did not return them with the car when it was traded in/repo'd/auctioned/ whatever.

Additionally, in the trunk there are a whole bunch of cords hanging down that the salesman told me that a previous owner probably had a sound system attached. Should they be expected to fix it so there aren't random cords everywhere?

Lastly, the front two seats had protective plastic/paper over the foot mats. After buying the car and seeing it with those removed I noticed that the front driver seats one had a big hole in it. I'm assuming its okay that I ask them to replace it?
Previous owner. Dealer got it from them, and sold it to you in the same condition. Maybe they sold it to you before it went to inspection or clean up.

Half the time that wiring stuff is left in the cars because nobody wants to pay a tech to remove it.

Also, it's your fault for not inspecting the car closely prior to purchase.

Maybe even have an independent tech do a 'used car PREpurchase inspection'.
They have a 3 day no questions asked return policy so I wanted to get a few of these things fixed if possible. What do you guys think?
Sounds like you are down to getting more keys and fixing a hole in the seat. Can you live with the hole in the seat?
There are people that do upholstery repairs, and are mobile. There seems to be one in every decent size town, they regularly visit the dealerships.
See if the dealer will get it fixed for you (if it's not too big to be fixed that way).
Old 06-21-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Etch? BS.
Only if you want a tracking number permanently etched into all the windows....And it's probably already been done, but maaaybe they don't send in the paperwork now that you declined it.

What is this "pulse" you speak of? BS.
Required by whom?
The sales managers, I'm sure.
These things are solely to generate extra revenue.
Anything and everything they do is all about getting more of your money.

Did you finance through the dealership? They make more money.
Without even knowing what 'pulse' is, I can tell you you heard it from a salesmaggot so it must be a lie. LOL

You only got a gray valet key?
The other two have built-in remotes.
The car came with two remote keys and one gray valet key when it was brand new.
Make them give you two correct keys at no additional cost to you. Keys cut AND programmed.

Should have come with the car, but maybe the previous owner did not return them with the car when it was traded in/repo'd/auctioned/ whatever.

Previous owner. Dealer got it from them, and sold it to you in the same condition. Maybe they sold it to you before it went to inspection or clean up.

Half the time that wiring stuff is left in the cars because nobody wants to pay a tech to remove it.

Also, it's your fault for not inspecting the car closely prior to purchase.

Maybe even have an independent tech do a 'used car PREpurchase inspection'.
Sounds like you are down to getting more keys and fixing a hole in the seat. Can you live with the hole in the seat?
There are people that do upholstery repairs, and are mobile. There seems to be one in every decent size town, they regularly visit the dealerships.
See if the dealer will get it fixed for you (if it's not too big to be fixed that way).

Thank you for the reply. I've talked to them again. They are going to give me brand new floor mats so no hole anymore (I should have been more clear the hole was in a floor mat not the actual car. They are going to "remove" pulse and give me a refund on it and said they will try to get me a discount on the keys... Not perfect but not terrible either.
Old 06-21-2015

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

They are going to "remove" pulse
So what is it??
Old 06-21-2015
Registered!!

So what is it??
It's apparently an extra light feature when you are stopping. I guess it adds an extra light if you break extremely hard? Lets be honest though, its like etch and they didn't take anything off. A salesman went outside for less than 5 minutes with an invisible toolbox and then came back and said it was off, okay man sure whatever you say.

They were pretty cool when I came in they are also going to remove the cords from the trunk.
Old 06-21-2015

I guess it adds an extra light if you break extremely hard?
Ahh, maybe like a brake light flasher, as seen on many motorcycles?

For three-freekin-hunnert dollaz?

Ok I found the website but didn't see any price...http://www.pulseprotects.com/product-info/

"Pulse is fairy (their typo, not mine) inexpensive, typically adding only about $5 to your monthly car payment."

"Pulse isn’t much bigger than a stick of gum, and it’s normally installed in a convenient location near the 3rd brake light."

So it's probably costing the dealer $30-40 and it connects in the center brake light wiring -- and (almost) any idiot can install and remove it in 5 minutes.

Found this thread on removal with pictures: http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showt...lasher-Removal
Old 06-21-2015
Registered!!

Ahh, maybe like a brake light flasher, as seen on many motorcycles?

For three-freekin-hunnert dollaz?

Ok I found the website but didn't see any price...http://www.pulseprotects.com/product-info/

"Pulse is fairy (their typo, not mine) inexpensive, typically adding only about $5 to your monthly car payment."

"Pulse isn’t much bigger than a stick of gum, and it’s normally installed in a convenient location near the 3rd brake light."

So it's probably costing the dealer $30-40 and it connects in the center brake light wiring -- and (almost) any idiot can install and remove it in 5 minutes.

Found this thread on removal with pictures: http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showt...lasher-Removal
Interesting. So some people do find it useful, but definitely not at a 300 dollar price point. Glad I got refunded and so on.