I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

DIY: Installing Rear Speakers in a Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2001
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mohawkboom is an unknown quantity at this point
DIY Sedan Speaker installs

Courtesy of BomberNYC

Sup guys.. I just removed my rear deck and replaced my stock back speakers on my sedan. Most of the DIY on the board are for the coupe so i felt like doing one for the Sedan. Shout to tsunamisplash and Toastyghost for helping me with the rear deck. I'm just going to elaborate more on what i've read from thier post on how to remove the deck to get to your speakers...

1) to take off the seat cushion, first look for a bolt that should be towards the drivers side/middle part of the seat. its around the place where the lap seatbelts are located. If anything, just pry the cushions apart with your hands till you see it. But it should be where i described it would be. take the bolt off (10mm bolt) and pull the seat cushion up from the front and off it goes. But remember to take the bolt off first !

2) As far as the folding part of the seats, I just folded mine down. i didnt remove mine so i'm not going to include that in this DIY. i think it would have made life a little more easier but i jsut didnt feel like doing it. Look for post made my toastyghost and other for thie part of the DIY IF you want to remove it. Its not neccessary thoe.

3) after the seats are folded and the seat cushion removed, i took off the stips of cushions where the shoulder seatbelt is located. first if oyu look at the bottom of this part of each of the seats. there is one 10mm bolt on each of them. remove the bolt. If you notice, there is this thick plastic thing that holds the seat to the car. to get the seat off, i didnt have much luck with just pulling it up like everone else did that made a DIY. what i did is i went thru the trunk of the car, folded the carpet down behind the area of the seat that i wanted to remove ( you should see a white lookin plastic thing) and sorta pulled and pushed up at the same time. this lossend the clip and i just went back into the car and pulled up and got the cushion off. this way made it wayyyy easier than just pulling the cushion straight up from inside the car. the two seat cushions should come off after you do this.

4) When i got up to this part. i thought all i had to do now was pull the rear deck off the car. NOPE... NOT YET... after a few minutes of tuggin the $hit off the rear deck.. i knew that there must be something else holding it on and i was right =) now what you you have to do to loosen the plastic trims around the door. not on the actuall door itself, but the trim that is on the car. you know that part of the back door where the sensor is for the light if you leave the door open ? thats the area i'm talkin about. its not on the actuall door, its on the car. so anyway, loosen the plastic trim piece that goes around the bottom
part for the opening for the back doors just enough to pull the rubber strip that goes around the whole top part of the opening for the door. you dont have to pull the whole rubber piece off.. just enuff so that it doenst interfere with what you have to do next.

5) now that the thin rubber piece is off, you now have to take the part of the trim where hmmm how can i explain this... the part of the trim where the black radio antenna comes out off ? you guys know what i'm talkin about right ? if you look at the back, there should be these little black things that jsut stick out of the side platic trim and attach to your back window. i think that its for the antenna but i might be wrong. but its the only wire back there so you cant miss it. so anyway.. see the trim that its commin out off... thats gonna have to go. first disconnect the little black thing that is attatched to the back window by pulling it off. to get the plastic trim off.. go back to where you removed the thin black rubber piece that goes around the top opening for the door and just a panel popper or something to get the trim off. ( I didnt have a panel popper so i jsut my wire strippers to pop the trim off ) Its gonna take alot of force but it should come off. its only held on by plastic clips. I was a little worried cuz i thought i was gonna break something but its just all clips. PULL HARD ! but not hard enuff that you break the panel in half. dont be a retard ! use your head ! =)

6) After you get the 2 plastic trim pieces off, now you can remove the rear plastic deck, first if you look around the bottom front of the rear deck, you will notice that its hooked on the the car. so just unhook the front part of the deck from the car. there are 3 hooks total, one in the middle, and one on the left and the other on the right. its simple once you see it. just pull up and it gets unhooked. not hard at all. now make sure that you unhook the seat belts from the rear deck. Its self explanitory once you see it. next, go back to the trunk of the car and make sure to unhook the brake light ! I forgot to do this and kept pullin on the deck and when it came off.. i thought i was just stuck so i pulled some more.. then i realized that the break light was still hooked up so i unhooked it. just go to the trunk and disconnect it. you cant miss it. after the brake light is off, pull up and out. This took alot of force too but if you followed everything i said. it should come off. what i did was first pulled at the passenger side up first. when i heard a "pop", i moved to the middle, another "pop", then to the driver side and "pop" what i did next is i pulled the middle part of the deck up just enuff to get one of my arms in and with the palm of my hand facing the trunk.. i push down on the car so in turn the back side of my hand pushed up on the rear deck. and "pop" "pop" "pop" "pop" "pop" "pop" "pop" "pop" all the other clips of the deck popped off. so just pull up and out and the deck comes off. now you can see the speakers and do your thing. to put everhting back together, by doing the reverse. so total, there were only 3 bolts that i removed. one for the seat cushion where your A$$ is on, and the other 2 on the side cushions of the car.

hope this LOOOOONNNGGG DIY helps.. if anyone sees anything wrong with it, post it and i will edit it so that maybe it can end up in the DIY part of this site and help more people out. One !
Old 02-05-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amphiprion is an unknown quantity at this point
My buddy has a sedan.......i'll pass the info on!
Old 02-07-2002
AJ
Registered!!

AJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah when I bought mine a year ago know one knew how to get the dack out crutchfield gave me some info from the 2000 civic'c and I went from there. That is good that you posted that.
Old 02-18-2002
Registered!!

UncleB is an unknown quantity at this point
MOHAWKBOOM: thanks man. that will come in handy in a few weeks when I get my speakers.
Old 03-01-2002
Registered!!

fourkilos is an unknown quantity at this point
i removed my rear speakers from my civic like few months ago... that thing was a pain. i wouldn't wanna do that again!!!!
Old 07-21-2002
Registered!!

lestat is an unknown quantity at this point

what speaker size do we have on the rear? it looks like a 6 1/2" dunno ..

i tried to look at the diy page we have i think that could be wrong... or must be for the coupe.

what speaker sizes do we have in both rear and front?
Old 07-21-2002
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mohawkboom is an unknown quantity at this point
rears are 6.5's
Old 07-21-2002
Registered!!

mohawk,

so dats 6.5 rear and 6.9 at the front rite? for the sedan.... (make sense... now [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 07-21-2002
Registered!!

klam is an unknown quantity at this point
6.5" front and rear for the sedan.
Old 07-24-2002
Registered!!

klam, thnx! [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG] whew almost bought a 6x9
Old 07-31-2002
Registered!!

TOOLOWCIVIC is an unknown quantity at this point
Wheres the diy for the coupe?
Old 09-10-2002
Ultimate OG Member

TopFuel will become famous soon enough
6x9 for coupes right??? i need a diy!!
Old 10-01-2002
Registered!!

PaKiBAla is an unknown quantity at this point
yea i bought rear speakers but imma wait to install them.......i dotn think i got the time right now.....it was so much easier on my subaruu......this is nuts so much work to change speakers!!!!
Old 10-01-2002
Registered!!

BlueTroll is an unknown quantity at this point
u don't actually have to take out the rear seats tho...... its not needed
Old 10-05-2002

Amer786 is an unknown quantity at this point
I bought infinity 6.5 inches for the front speakersi n my sedan. The spec in the speaker box tell me that the mounting depth is 2 3/13 inches. The guy st the shop where I am going ot have the install done, told me that there may not be enough room in the door panel to install those speakers (Kappa series) becasue the window is right behind the speaker? Is this true? What is the maximum depth of speaker that anyone has installed in their sedan (2002). If this is not possible in the front, can I use the speakers in rear?
Old 10-05-2002
Registered!!

swkfilms is an unknown quantity at this point
amer, relax, i got the infinity kappa components, what you need is a 1/2" spacer. With a half in spacer those should fit no problem, without the spacer then the window wont go all the way down. The guy at the shop should have spacers for sale. Or you can buy one from crutchfield. If they are going in the back you dont need any spacer at all.

all these people b*tchin about the removing the rear deck need to chill. Its not THAT hard, it taking off a couple of bolts (i think 5 maybe) and tugging a little. its actually quite easy.

crutchfield
Old 10-06-2002

Amer786 is an unknown quantity at this point
but to get the infinity's in there, I would have to cut into the metal because the stock speakers are so small, is that what you found? See I did not wanna be cutting into the metal just yet, since it is a leased car. Any other suggestions for front speakers? I have already put those in the rear. But you are sure that the spacers will work and still have enough space for the door panels to fit over the new speakers?
Old 10-06-2002
Registered!!

swkfilms is an unknown quantity at this point
yeah, we had to cut out a little of the door. But i could see how you would not want to do that because its a lease. It will fit with a spacer, and the window will go all the way down, i have it in my car that way and pretty much everyone else on the site has it set up that way. MohawkBoom could probably give you some speaker ideas that would drop in with out cutting. Or maybe do a search, I remember him saying it once before but i dont remember what ones they were.
marty
Old 12-07-2002
LEVA

KeNsHiN is an unknown quantity at this point
Old 12-08-2002
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Bellz has a spectacular aura aboutBellz has a spectacular aura about
[hr]Originally posted by: TOOLOWCIVIC
Wheres the diy for the coupe?[hr]
[hr]Originally posted by: TopFuel
6x9 for coupes right??? i need a diy!![hr]
Here ya go!!
Old 06-12-2003
Registered!!

kali_king209 is an unknown quantity at this point
damn I want to change the rear speakers of my sedan but now I'm afraid to touch it. sounds like a long and pain process
Old 06-12-2003
The LA Clipper

fonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to all
Damn, this is the oldest topic ever revived!!! ...props for doing a search though
Old 07-28-2003
Registered!!

eraser_rx is an unknown quantity at this point
seeing the dates of the posts......i'm kinda embarassed to ask a question in this thread......

I'm new to this forum.......so, hope you guys don't mind of my newbie questions......

so.....i have checked the rear speaker of my 2002 or 2003 sedan......i just opened my trunk and i can see perfectly the speakers......they were made in Mexico........

so they are 6.5 inches....right??......do i just have to unscrew the speakers???? or do i have to do hell lot more than just unscrewing them????
Old 07-28-2003
Registered!!

greggdogg is an unknown quantity at this point
If you read the first post in this thread, you will see that there is quite a lot of stuff to do (seat removal, panel/stripping removal, deck removal, THEN removing the speakers). Either reserve a weekend or take it to a pro.
Old 07-28-2003
Registered!!

eraser_rx is an unknown quantity at this point
i have already read the first post b4 i post.....

so.....i think i'm better off by taking my car to a pro......
Old 07-30-2003
Yes, it's an Acura EL

TeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to all
OK guys, I did this on my car and it was easy as pie. The rear deck comes up with minimal effort....sounds harder than it is. I had the deck out in 10 minutes (I took a break to have a cigarette).
Old 09-19-2003
Registered!!

shmeb is an unknown quantity at this point
Man. I wish I knew this a few weeks ago. I replaced my rear speakers but didn't pull the seat out or completely remove the sides. I ended up bending stuff until I could get the deck out. :\

Luckily I didn't break anything.
Old 10-08-2003
Raceway Park Track Tech.

LazyDog01 will become famous soon enoughLazyDog01 will become famous soon enough
i have done this so many times i can do it with out instructions
Old 10-15-2003
Registered!!

civic2 is an unknown quantity at this point
i installed 6x9s in my 01 coupe,and the metal bar 4 the trunk got in the way
Old 12-13-2003
Registered!!

pheral is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: DIY Sedan Speaker installs

First off, Excellent DIY.
Yeah I know it is an old thread and all, but VERY helpful.

I had the whole thing torn down in around 25 minutes, and I am by no means an expert. Anyone who feels this might seem a little intimidating, don't worry, it's not nearly as bad as it sounds.

I wanted to elaborate on a few things that kinda stumped/puzzled/frustrated me during the process.

1) to take off the seat cushion, first look for a bolt that should be towards the drivers side/middle part of the seat. its around the place where the lap seatbelts are located.
Excellent, the 10mm was exactly where you described it. A bit annoying to get to, but not TOO difficult.

I didn't see any reason to fold take the seats out, your folding down method worked fine.

what i did is i went thru the trunk of the car, folded the carpet down behind the area of the seat that i wanted to remove ( you should see a white lookin plastic thing) and sorta pulled and pushed up at the same time.
Pulled toward the back of the car and pushed up toward the roof, worked like a charm.

step 4 was a piece of cake.

first disconnect the little black thing that is attatched to the back window by pulling it off. to get the plastic trim off.. go back to where you removed the thin black rubber piece that goes around the top opening for the door and just a panel popper or something to get the trim off. ( I didnt have a panel popper so i jsut my wire strippers to pop the trim off ) Its gonna take alot of force but it should come off. its only held on by plastic clips. I was a little worried cuz i thought i was gonna break something but its just all clips. PULL HARD ! but not hard enuff that you break the panel in half. dont be a retard ! use your head ! =)
Easy again, but I wasn't sure of what to exactly pull on with the little black thing (looked like it could have been for rear window defrost maybe?) but I eventually figured out that the whole black plastic piece disconnects and the piece of metal is the part that you are seperating it from, so just grab the entire black piece and yank it away from the back glass.

As for the panels on the side, just grab the edge and pull. It seemed to work ok for me.

now make sure that you unhook the seat belts from the rear deck. Its self explanitory once you see it.
d'oh. This one had me going, I was looking for a way to possibly unscrew the seat belt mechanism or pop it out maybe. Just look at the piece of the rear deck that the seat belts (left and right) are coming out of. If you lift up the belt, you will see a little slit that you can pull the belt out of. Might be obvious to many, I was just looking all around instead of right under the belt.

Also, for the middle belt, I just left it in. I didn't run into any problems because of it.

WARNING: The little plastic piece around the keyhole for locking the back seat from coming forward should be taken off BEFORE you try to pull up the rear deck. The thing just popped right out, hit the roof, and flew out of the door. Good thing no one was standing nearby when that crazy projectile was in flight. They might have lost an eye.

so just pull up and out and the deck comes off.
Don't forget the 'out' part of this sentence. I kept pulling toward the roof of the car and trying to figure out what was causing the deck to stay in. I then gave it a gentle tug toward the front of the car, and "pop" it came right out. There seemed to be two clips that held it horizontally, one on the left, and one on the right.

Well, I made it to the prize (speakers) by only removing 3 10mm bolts. Not hard at all. Another little tip, those phillips head screws that are holding the stock speakers in can also be removed with that same 10mm ratchet thats in your hand. So really, all you need is one tool to do this install.

And thanks again, it helped out quite a bit.

Quick Reply: DIY: Installing Rear Speakers in a Sedan