Electrical, Wiring, and In Car Entertainment Electrical, Wiring and In Car Entertainment questions belong here.

02 civic remove head unit

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hyousuf is an unknown quantity at this point
02 civic remove head unit

hi guys
this is my very first post here, prior to this i have done a lot researching all over the internet to find out information about replacing head units.
So here is what im trying to do, I have a 02 Honda Civic 1.4S Sedan, Im trying to install a double din head unit, I have the new unit and the mounting kit. Im stuck at the first and basic step of removing the center console, I saw alot of threads here and else about removing them and starting by pulling the panel holding the cigarette lighter.

This is the where the problem is, in every tutorial that I found it says that I have to pull that panel holding cigarette lighter and it should pop off, but unfortunately its not coming off for me, i tried injecting some force but am worried that I may break something.

The only difference that I see with other civics of this year is that, that panel contains an ashtray, Im not sure if it makes any difference or not, but I did try pulling that panel it comes off only from the top, but looks like a screw of some sort is holding it from the bottom assembly.

Now actually after some pulling it for sometime, when I found out that I cant pull it out, I tried inserting it back and it wont go in properly, I hope I havent done any damage to my car

I may be wrong but its my first ever venture of trying something of this kind, please help me out
Old 01-09-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LiquidArrogance is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 02 civic remove head unit

It's a bit of a pain in the butt to get back in but it will go. for me the clips didn't quite line up and you have to push it at an extreme angle. If you like down inside while putting it in you can see the clips. I had to pull from the outside /bottom on the housing to get the clips to line up.
Old 01-09-2012
A true genius admits that he/she knows nothing.....CLOSED SAT/SUN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Gunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to all

Without digging into it and looking this up, when you pull out the ashtray, is there a screw holding the panel in, look up where you took it out and see if there is a screw there..Im just guessing since i have not looked into it yet so dont shoot me if i am wrong..
Old 01-09-2012
A true genius admits that he/she knows nothing.....CLOSED SAT/SUN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Gunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to all

see if this helps..there are a few DIY in the 7th gen DIY section on this..

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...stall-diy.html