Electrical, Wiring, and In Car Entertainment Electrical, Wiring and In Car Entertainment questions belong here.

Battery Isolator vs Seperator

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kumanan is a jewel in the roughkumanan is a jewel in the roughkumanan is a jewel in the roughkumanan is a jewel in the rough
Battery Isolator vs Seperator

One of my batterys is used for starting, other has all the auxillary stuff hooked up to it. When theres a small current draw when the car is turned off, it will kill both batterys and i cant start. A isolator can seperate the two batterys when the ignition is off, so it always keeps one battery available for starting (ie. if my auxillary battery dies, main one will still be charged/ready because its not connected to the auxillary). I've heard battery seperators do the same thing....? Which is better/
Old 04-12-2007
Registered!!

darklegacy540 is on a distinguished road
Re: Battery Isolator vs Seperator

I've never heard of a battery seperator before. We always use battery isolators when installing a second battery if they want it set up that way. Otherwise, if we're doing an alternator upgrade as well, we usually just run the batteries in parallel off the alternator.. well, obviously not the ground wires but hey.. there's enough smart @$$es on the forums that I don't want anyone to take it that way. haha Anyway, I recommend Stinger. You should be able to get it at any car audio shop.. otherwise, you can order off cardomain.com
Old 04-12-2007
Registered!!

christmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of light

There's the diode kind and the relay kind, relay kind is probably what you want.
Old 05-02-2007
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
0H3ebpEM2 will become famous soon enough0H3ebpEM2 will become famous soon enough

yes get a relay operated battery isolator. never heard of a seperator. isolator is probably a lot more safer.