Electrical, Wiring, and In Car Entertainment Electrical, Wiring and In Car Entertainment questions belong here.

External LCD position

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stearic is an unknown quantity at this point
External LCD position

Well i just bought myself a gps receiver for my laptop and considering i plan to use it with my car, i don't want to be looking into the passenger seat all the time for directions and to check info on. So i was going to buy a external touchscreen LCD to use on it (i have both vga and s-video output on my laptop) and i was wondering where i could put it exactly where it wouldn't get me in trouble with the cops when i'm looking at map info and what not.

I've found these lcd's at mp3car.com and they are prettey decently priced so i was wondering what you guys had to say. Put it up where you would a stardard gps unit like tomtom or put it in the visor? What one would you guys recomend getting that would work for my needs? All idea's welcome.

Edit: I just remembered that i want this to be an external screen and it will not be put in where my current head unit is, as i'm putting in in an eclipse deck in there. This LCD in addition to everything.

Last edited by Stearic; 03-08-2007 at 12:29 PM.
Old 03-12-2007
Registered!!

Tazz2000 is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm having the same problem...but more because I have the navi in already. I want to add another screen for a mac mini or carputer and don't know where to put it.

I thought about putting it in the little pocket in front of the shifter, but it's too deep.

For you though, I don't think there's a better place than the factory location. You could even get a double-din dash piece and put both your in-dash screen, AND your Eclipse deck.

Just a suggestion.
Old 03-12-2007
Registered!!

Yea, i thought about going that route, but to get an indash touchscreen LCD is going to cost me an extra $200-$250 or so. I'd really like to do the whole carputer thing, i'm just not that godo when it comes to wiring up stuff in cars that does come with adapters and the "idiot sheet" to tell you where to hook stuff. Adding anything new like setting up stuff for a computer is just slightly beyond my reach. If i have a guide to follow it's a whole other story though if i can find out exactly what to do.

Edit: Just got an idea though to get a regular one and the do a bit of metal shop work and make my own rails setup so i can still put it there, but it would be i manually pull out the lcd though. Would have to figure out how to make it so it didn't look so ugly though when it's pulled out. The whole wouldn't look that good.

Last edited by Stearic; 03-12-2007 at 09:51 PM.
Old 03-14-2007
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang
fiberglass a custom piece that extends from your lower center console.
Old 03-16-2007
Registered!!

I've toyed with that idea, but then there is the whole thing of it not being a good position for the LCD to be placed at if i were to be looking at it for directions or to change the song or what not. Not to mention i'd be loosing my cup holders. Thats my main thing is i'd like to keep them if all possible. That would be where i'd be putting it if i didn't care about the cup holders.
Old 03-17-2007
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang
Fab up some kinda sliding brack with the screen that can swivle or something
Old 03-19-2007
Registered!!

The question is where would i put it though. I had thought about that, and it's not a bad idea. Would i put it next to the cd deck? or elsewhere. As i'm typing this the idea comes to mind to do what i planned on doing and get a new aftermarket deck, and then after that fab something up that would fit into the bottom din part that would hold the monitor and it would be something i could take out when i need to. That way i could use my laptop and not have to do all that work to get a computer in my car. Wouldn't need to use it all the time so that sounds like a good idea. What you guys think?