Electrical, Wiring, and In Car Entertainment Electrical, Wiring and In Car Entertainment questions belong here.

In Dash M/V Dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Taffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant future
In Dash M/V Dilemma

My brother's radio went out on him and he bought an In Dash M/V and wants me to install it for him. But he wants me to bypass the E-brake switch so that he can watch videos while he is driving. I keep on trying to tell him that this is a bad idea, and I don't want to be responsible if something were to happen because he was distracted while watching a movie while commuting to work. He keeps on telling me not to worry about it and still bypass it. What would you do if you were in this situation?

Old 02-23-2007
Registered!!

darklegacy540 is on a distinguished road
It's very illegal and comes with a large fine.
We used to do it at our shop as long as the customers signed a waiver but now we won't do it at all. It's not worth the law suit.
Okay, your brother might not file a law suit against you, but just because he IS your brother, you wouldn't want him to get into a car accident and seriously injure himself and/or someone else.
Old 02-23-2007
Crack kills... But then again... So do I...
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

notoriouspyro is a jewel in the roughnotoriouspyro is a jewel in the roughnotoriouspyro is a jewel in the roughnotoriouspyro is a jewel in the rough
Dunno what to say, cuz I'm guilty of being one of those people that DID use a bypass switch. Just let him know that if he really wants it that he needs to find a shop that will do it. You do not want to accept the responsibility, and moreso you don't want to hear him bitching at you when he gets an expensive ticket as a result. Or you could always do the other thing. Leave the switch and lines on the seat and tell him that if he really wants it he needs to do the research and figure out where the lines connect and how to toggle the switch in the correct code. This way your hands are clean.
Old 02-23-2007
Registered!!

christmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of light
I normally don't like to. But sometimes for a friend or whatever I have.

When I do I usually hook it up to the parking brake so that works as it should and then put in a hidden toggle switch for driving purposes. Again I'm not recommending this.

If you are watching mobile vid up front in your car and you cause an accident where someone is seriously injured or killed odds are the police/prosecutors are going to want to come down on you hard. They may even go after the person who did the bypass. So there's a lot of risk here. You'll have to decide whether or not you want to accept it.