Tire size - Honda Civic Forum

Wheels and Tires Post your wheel and tire related questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-06-2010   #1
Registered!!

Funktion81 is an unknown quantity at this point
Tire size

I need to buy some winter tires my current size on my '05 civic is 185/65/R15.
The winter set I'm looking at is 195/55/R15, will I have any issues installing these? -Thanks in advance.
Funktion81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010   #2
Whachya lookin at?

BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tire size

They can be installed but the general rule of thumb with winter tires is the skinnier, the better. Your looking at a wider tire there that won't perform as well in the winter. It's not really a good idea to deviate from your OEM tire size, though it can be done.

Last edited by BlueEM2; 12-06-2010 at 06:47 PM. Reason: Wrong Word!
BlueEM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010   #3
Registered!!

TiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of light

The main issues you will have is the speedo will read 4.2% too fast. So when you are 57.5 your speedo will read 60.

The other issue you may encounter is very slight rubbing on a hard turn. More annoying than anything unless you are running chains or cables. You would have to be more careful.

As far as the width difference, the 10mm isn't going to make much difference. You should be OK with them for the winter months.
TiggerDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010   #4
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

There won't be any rubbing issues, thats the exact same size I have installed currently. Generally you can go up or down 1 size without experiencing any issues.

On snow tires you should use the smallest possible tire, because that way the tire will encounter the least possible resistance cutting through snow and ice. I haven't had much of an issue in snow with mine yet though.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010   #5
Registered!!

Funktion81 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the replies!
Funktion81 is offline   Reply With Quote