Notices
Wheels and Tires Post your wheel and tire related questions here.

Brakes doing wierd things

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
deetzkid is an unknown quantity at this point
Brakes doing wierd things

I've got a 2004 Honda Civic coupe with 89000 plus miles on. Went on deployment and had it shipped, was in storage for three months. Came back to it, and the brakes 'slip' sometimes (brakes still work, i just have to press down more than I remember). I've looked at the brakes themselves, seem to be okay (rotors aren't broken or cracked, brakes aren't worn down hideously). A friend of mine thinks I'm being paranoid, but the guy I bought the car from sold it to me with aftermarket brake pads and three of the four rotors cracked, and my brakes going out unexpectedly at sixty on the freeway isn't an experience I want to repeat.

So: Is 'slipping' this normal, and if so, how do I fix it? Thanks.
Old 05-12-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Brakes doing wierd things

well if brake pedal is pushing down further, it could be the start of a bad master cylinder. is brake fluid leaking anywhere? maybe bleed the system first, if it doesnt improve then its possibly the master cylinder going out.
Old 05-17-2010
Registered!!

tattooedfreak is an unknown quantity at this point

Could also be a bad vacuum line at the brake booster, or bad booster.
Old 04-18-2011
Registered!!

bdblack99 is an unknown quantity at this point

i am having the same problem, i will be driving and my brake pedal is fine then the next time i go to stop and i press the pedal and all of a sudden it drops. now this happens (the pedal dropping) for about 20 mins. then all of a sudden the pedal goes back to normal. could this be sign of my master cylinder going and are there any test i can perform to make sure it is not a vacuum leak. thanks for any help.

i have a 2002 honda civic ex 103900 miles on it
Old 04-18-2011
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

well the only thing that would cause the pedal to drop lower than normal is a bad master cylinder or a leaky brake line. all of which can lead to sudden brake failure and no brakes at all to stop the car if you let it go without fixing. if you dont see anything dripping, and the brake fluid is full, i bet its master cylinder. bad booster should not cause the pedal to sink. it will just require more pressure/effort to push the pedal and stop.
Old 05-15-2011
Registered!!

ok so i changed the mc and benched bleed it and i bleed my brake calipers the back and front brakes i also adjusted the back shoes and i still have a low pedal. i went to all data and they told me to bleed the brakes by front calipers firsts then back, i did it the way they said and i still have a spongy low brake pedal. Could it be that i have air in the abs modulator and if so what a good way to bleed that. thanks for any help.
Old 05-15-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,452 Likes on 1,205 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

dealer. no easy way to bleed ABS unit
Old 05-15-2011
Registered!!

is there any way to bleed it and thanks for the reply
Old 05-15-2011
Premium Member

try a gravity bleed. takes all day but almost impossible to mess up. open one side at a time and put a tube on the valve, let it drain while refilling the master cylinder. do not let it get to MIN. once you see no more old fluid coming out, close the valve and move to the next side. the bleeding order for 01-05 civic is below: if you have a different year, you may need to double check that.

1. front left
2. front right
3. rear right
4. rear left
Old 05-15-2011
Registered!!

gearbox so i should not worry about bleeding the abs just do the gravity bleed
Old 05-15-2011
Premium Member

yeah see if that works. ive never heard of needing to bleed the abs unit. but if you did manage to get air in the abs modulator, youre pretty much screwed. maybe this can help

http://www.aa1car.com/library/abs_bleeding.htm

http://www.brakeandfrontend.com/Arti...s_systems.aspx
Old 05-22-2011
Registered!!

ok wow after further investigating found out that my driver side caliper was bad and that was making my pedal spongy. after changing the driver side and passenger side calipers and bleeding the breaks because all the air went to the back driver side my pedal is a full and strong pedal . i bleed the breaks the way gear box said and all is good now thanks for the help gear.