Pain in my Brakes. Please help. - Honda Civic Forum

Wheels and Tires Post your wheel and tire related questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-28-2008   #1  
Registered!!

stevanrk is an unknown quantity at this point
Pain in my Brakes. Please help.

OK I'm out of ideas and when that happens I start posting. I have been getting two things happening when I apply my brakes on my 95 civic dx (front rotors and rear drums). At low speeds until I stop, I get a rhythmic creaky sound that seems to be coming from the front left and slows down with the speed of the car. Stopping at slow speeds is smooth, except for a VERY small amount of grabbing with every squeak/creaky noise. The other thing that happens is when I apply my brakes at highway speeds and that gets the whole car vibrating. I don't really feel it in the steering wheel but rather the whole car. I have replaced the struts and springs (not for this problem, but just because), front rotors and pads, and just today I did the rear drums and pads with new brake hardware in there as well. I did not mess with the front calipers or the rear cylinders. I don't think they are the culprits unless someone else seems to think they could be. The other thing I noticed is that at least one of my wheels is missing a hubcentric ring. Alignments have been done by local NTB and balancing, but that steering wheel shimmy at high speeds and NOT the problems I list above. MY THOUGHTs based on some reading here and there include the missing hubcentric ring, and maybe the front wheel bearings as culprits for these symptoms. Any other advice from people? Much thanks in advance.
Regards,
Steve

Last edited by stevanrk; 06-28-2008 at 01:05 AM.
stevanrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008   #2  
Registered!!

stevanrk is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Pain in my Brakes. Please help.

Well bleeding my brake lines has solved the rhythmic creaking sounds. At least that was a cheap fix. Feels better too without the rhythmic grabbing. I haven't tested highway speed braking but I think that it will not be solved cuz I can feel some grmbling when I brake at lower speeds. We'll see. Will also be ordering some hubcentric rings ( I am missing only one) to see if that helps at all too.
stevanrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008   #3  
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Pain in my Brakes. Please help.

i doubt the hub ring would matter. alot of times aftermarket rims that were not made specifically for the car will cause steering wheel shake even when balanced properly.

as for shaking when braking, most likely a warped rotor or two. dont brake at speeds above 40mph if you can help it. only causes more problems later.
gearbox is offline   Reply With Quote