Notices
Wheels and Tires Post your wheel and tire related questions here.

Need your opinion on some wheels

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yankeefan will become famous soon enough
Need your opinion on some wheels

Saw some wheels Si wheels the other day at a Honda by my work. Instead of having a matte finish they were sent out to be chrome plated (I believe, salesman didn't know). Do you think these are a viable option? You see any future issues with the appearance of the chrome overtime? They are selling for $225 each.

Thanks,
Howard
Old 06-28-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang
Re: Need your opinion on some wheels

Chrome is tough stuff to take off, I dont think you'll have any problems with it as long as you dont let brake dust build up on it, and you give them a wash every time they need it.

But chrome is out of style, and was never in style for a civic. Plus at 900 bucks a set, thats a hosing, you could get much nicer rims for that price.
Old 06-28-2008
Registered!!

RallyeRedRider has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I looked into chrome plating some motorcycle wheels 8 years ago and was told that they would probably start flaking and looking like *** after 3 or 4 years, so I didn't do it. I don't know if they have improved the technology since then to make it last longer.
Old 06-29-2008
Registered!!

Originally Posted by TRIZ
Chrome is tough stuff to take off, I dont think you'll have any problems with it as long as you dont let brake dust build up on it, and you give them a wash every time they need it.

But chrome is out of style, and was never in style for a civic. Plus at 900 bucks a set, thats a hosing, you could get much nicer rims for that price.
I agree with you whole-heartily that they are expensive and probably get better but its more out of frustration on my part. I am as newbie as can be with cars - I just started changing oil, rotors, pads, etc. so I have a very limited knowledge of cars and wheels. I can go on tirerack.com type in 2006 Honda Civic Sedan LX and get 12 pages of wheels. If I eliminate forged wheels (way too expensive) I think it drops to 8 pages. Plus I don't need sporty looking wheels as I don't own an Si, it's a 4 door family daily driver! So what looks appropriate (narrowed that down to 5-6 post wheels) for the car plus since it's a daily driver what will survive potholes, etc.? Looking to spend a max. of $250/wheel, prefer less. Was looking at ASA, Enkei and Motegi but who knows their quality.

So, I appeciate the comment that I can get better for that amount of money but you can see my dilemma and frustrations as I want to get them before the summer ends to enjoy them for a while before I take them off for the winter.

Howard
Old 06-29-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

way too expensive and those wheels dont look good in chrome. theyre tiny 15s.
Old 06-29-2008
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
way too expensive and those wheels dont look good in chrome. theyre tiny 15s.
no.....he quoted 17s...which I am looking for.....