Notices
Wheels and Tires Post your wheel and tire related questions here.

02 1.7EL Brake Issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
babzog is an unknown quantity at this point
02 1.7EL Brake Issues

Hey folks!

I have an '02 EL that's got some brake issues. The car had new brakes about a year ago - new discs and pads all round. In Mar, the car sat for a week and it seems that's pooched the rear brakes. I get an awful KLACK-KLACK noise from the rear brakes (esp R side) when I slow down (just a few kph) and both discs are rusted where the pad should scrub 'em clean. There's also a steering wheel vibration and a howl that comes from the rear when I hit the brakes at speed.

Looking for confirmation and advice, solicited or not, on how to proceed.

I figure I need to replace the rear calipers and possibly/probably the front discs. I hope I can save the rear discs/pads by just swapping the calipers. I've been looking for caliper prices, but being as the car is a Canadian only model, parts are not as easily located. Another post elsewhere (forget where now) said that the brakes on the EL are the same as on the Si. I did find calipers (A1Cardone) from partstrain.com for about $70 ea. whereas PartSource and other suppliers in town want around $160 for each caliper.

Parts can be sourced from Canada or US - I'm close enough to the border that I do a lot of shopping trips in the US. Just concerned about getting quality parts from reputable dealers at good prices.

Also, this will be the first time I've replaced a braking system. Not really worried about it, but do want to do it with confidence and with understanding of what I'm doing. Comments on the above and general advice on fixing rear disc brakes is therefore greatly appreciated!

Cheers!
Old 05-13-2008
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
greeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to behold
Re: 02 1.7EL Brake Issues

its rotors, not calipers, have them turned, it will alleviate hte clicking noise. the noise is most likely due to hard/hot spots on teh rotors, and as the pad hits them, it clicks as it goes around, just pull them off, take them to a parts store, and have them turned(its like 8 bucks here) and ull see a difference right away. also, take some sand paper to the pads, to even them out while the rotors are being turned, to straighten them. good luck
Old 05-13-2008
Registered!!

Rotors? I didn't expect those to be the issue. Curious then.. why would the rotors be rusty on the faces, if the problem was not the calipers (sticking)?

I should have also mentioned: the car takes quite a bit longer - and requires more pedal force - to stop than before. The braking was always a bit mushy after the pads and rotors (I'm still used to calling them discs) were replaced, but now it does take a noticeable (translate: un-fun) effort to stop.

Last edited by babzog; 05-13-2008 at 11:22 PM.
Old 05-14-2008
Banned

greeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to behold

well, i would also bleed the brakes, i bet u have some air in the lines. but yea, always do the cheapest/simplest thing before replacing major components, i would start with turning the rotors and sanding the pads, followed by bleeding the brakes
Old 05-18-2008
Registered!!

So I was changing the oil in my wife's Focus and re-torquing the wheels on both cars and popped off the rear wheel to have a look. Took the caliper off and tried to screw in the piston - it went it with no problems at all. So, I don't think the problem is the caliper.

Next, I worked the pads loose - they were really jammed in there - and noticed that both the rotor and face of the pad were corroded-looking. Scraped off the loose paint on the pad, greased the heck out of it (the back of the pad, not the face of it) and the "socket" it fits into and put it all back together (the two bolts to 30ft.lbs) and torqued the wheels to 80ft.lbs.

Out for a test drive and the awful KLUNK KLUNK when stopping (during the last 10kph or so) is gone. The brakes feel a bit more positive now. I'll probably pull the left side tomorrow but wanted to go over this first. I used regular axle grease for the pad back since that was what I had on hand. Is that going to be okay?
Old 05-18-2008
Banned

is it high temp
Old 05-19-2008
Registered!!

Hmm.. I dunno. It's green. I put the tube in the gun .. oh, maybe four years ago. I just use it to grease the front wheels on the lawn tractor.

So... I gather then, that high temp grease is what I need to slather on in there?
Old 05-19-2008
Banned

well, i dont think its a must, just a question really, any old grease would prolly do, i just think that high temp would hold up a little better
Old 05-21-2008
Registered!!

Well, driving home tonight, getting progressively worse, was a rhythmic kinda of noise from that same back wheel again.

It doesn't seem like the rotor is being scrubbed clean... the pads are loose in there, the caliper moves freely, but it still seems to be not working properly.