Notices
Wheels and Tires Post your wheel and tire related questions here.

Hubcentric Rings?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SSMCivic2k5 has a spectacular aura aboutSSMCivic2k5 has a spectacular aura aboutSSMCivic2k5 has a spectacular aura about
Hubcentric Rings?

soo i got a question.... does the rings depend on the car or the wheel??? cause my tire guy was like get the rings not to feel vibrations
Old 03-21-2007
The only Wyoming Redneck on here

2002civicLX2002 will become famous soon enough2002civicLX2002 will become famous soon enough
Re: Hubcentric Rings?

im not sure what your asking. but i think u are asking if different vehicles have rings on the hubs, and yes they all do. it is used to make sure the wheel is on the hub correctly, and tightly so that it does nor vibrate.
Old 03-26-2007
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold

both. You need a 56.1mm ID for the car, and the OD of the ring matches the wheel's centerbore.
Old 03-26-2007
Back From The Banned!

CuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really nice

yuup! Need to consider the wheel's bore and the car's hub.
Old 03-27-2007
Registered!!

SSMCivic2k5 has a spectacular aura aboutSSMCivic2k5 has a spectacular aura aboutSSMCivic2k5 has a spectacular aura about

yup i already ordered them cause my steerin shakes a bit at 60mph
Old 03-31-2007
Pwning Noobs 24/7

DaMadScientist is just really niceDaMadScientist is just really niceDaMadScientist is just really niceDaMadScientist is just really niceDaMadScientist is just really nice

there are two kinds of wheels hub centric and lug centric, the hub centric wheels stay centered on the hub of the car and most aftermarket wheels are made with one centerbore in mind and various car inner diameter of the hubs are different and you need a ring to fill that gap so your wheels dont vibrate, here is an illustration

Old 04-01-2007
Registered!!

pon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nice

I've had rims with and w/o rings and no difference

Seems to me that the lugs should center the rim?
Old 04-09-2007
Pwning Noobs 24/7

DaMadScientist is just really niceDaMadScientist is just really niceDaMadScientist is just really niceDaMadScientist is just really niceDaMadScientist is just really nice

Originally Posted by pon55
I've had rims with and w/o rings and no difference

Seems to me that the lugs should center the rim?

lugs that center the rim are only rims that are lug-centric...if your rim is hub-centric you need a hubcentric ring...or your rim will vibrate like crazy, it will feel like your wheel is about to fall off
Old 04-09-2007
Registered!!

pon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nice

Originally Posted by DaMadScientist
lugs that center the rim are only rims that are lug-centric...if your rim is hub-centric you need a hubcentric ring...or your rim will vibrate like crazy, it will feel like your wheel is about to fall off
Guess I just don't get it? The lug holes in the rims are tapper to fit with the lugs, ie; centered. If the lugs are tightened the rim will center itself to the hub.
Old 12-13-2008
Registered!!

daveydo is an unknown quantity at this point

What centers the rim is the taper on the lug nuts & the rim holes. The hub centric ring will cause the mating of these holes, nuts & studs to occur correctly. The rims will start off centered & will be coplaner to the rotor or drum face. Further, it is the clamp force produced by the tightening of the nuts that holds the rim to the vehicle. Over tighening of the nuts will cause the studs to neck down, stretch & finallly shear. This happens in a one after the other fashion. Each failure increasing the load on the remaining studs. proper torque is therfore required.
Old 12-13-2008
Registered!!

daveydo is an unknown quantity at this point

It's very important to follow the proper tightening sequence as well. Another myth is that the use of torque limiting devices on an air wrench is ok. It is not ok. More often than not the use of these devices will cause over torqueing . Use a torque wrench & store it in an unloaded condition so as to maintian it's accuracy.
Old 12-13-2008
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

good info. i didnt notice any difference with or without the rings but i kept em on there. 80 ft/lbs per nut with a torque wrench. even the best shops ive been to dont know this lil secret. my rims still vibrate a bit even after numerous balances (sears got them the best), i just attribute that to crappy aftermarket rim design cause the stockers never vibrated.
Old 12-13-2008
Registered!!

Holey **** Batman, Oldddd thread. lol

Sounds like autorepair 101. (but sounds correct)
Old 12-13-2008
Registered!!

DDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of light

^^Im thinking the same theory too.
Old 08-28-2009
Registered!!

fergo is an unknown quantity at this point

Umm hey guys i read the notes u all posted great stuff but i still have some questions...

First off i went to Pepboys to get that issue fixed (vibrations) n they said they don't carry spares in-shop. so any ideas on where i can buy theseparts besides Online??

Oh yea n does it matter what year civic (2002 coupe) i have for the prats?

Thx guys
Old 08-28-2009
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

the rings need to be specific to the car hub size and also the size and type of rim. so yeah you need detailed info about your car. i got my rings from treadepot.com
Old 08-29-2009
Registered!!

prodigy803 is an unknown quantity at this point

Im gonna sound like a newb but whats dictates that you have a lug centric or a hub centric?
Old 08-29-2009
Premium Member

the car design. i thought our cars were lug centric so the rings dont matter, but maybe im wrong. or maybe the rings dont matter if you get aftermarket rims that are the same size as stock. i always heard they work for bigger rims tho to balance them on the hub better.
Old 11-13-2023
Registered!!

Daylongdriiver1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DaMadScientist
I've gota related question. I bored out the center hole with a die grinder so the Honda wheels would go on my 2001 Saturn SC2. They ran perfectly there. I wanted to see if the tires that were on the Saturn rims would make my Honda wheel sound some hat quieter. they did much so. so I took the Saturn to the store with the Honda rims loaded in the car. Job outlined was change all tires from the two different sets and balance them. Go the Saturn back running get, with the tires that came to me on the Honda, Stock Saturn rims on the stock Saturn. ruin smooth and right and the Saturn has way more sound Some on here have said use a centering ring than the Honda so it didn't matter that the Hondas tires are loud. seems like every time they try it they put weights in different places (completely) and said they road tested and I'm driving home and have other things to do and it shakes like hell put front tires on back a little better shakes in seat of pants and and steering wheel if let go goes sides ways 3/4 of an inch, over 80 it feels like it's going to slide off the road as all the tires are bouncing as watching with a cell phone on a rod holder. all of them are bouncing other 55. all is well and good below 50 and 45 and less it's really smooth. test speed for out of round is 18-20 and it's smooth, no humps and no bumps. the tires ran true on the Saturn rims and my mags with 225-45x17 on 8 inch wide rims will go as fast as the car can, their hot summer tires and run badly on cold roads and rain is dangerous and the Continual true contacts that are not balancing right are best tires for cold weather I've ever rode on. On a late night find the fastest car on the interstate kind of ride and never shake. Yes I find cars that will pull away, but the car doesn't shake with those wheels and tires either and the store keeper, tire store said it's out of line, it'd be out of line with those mags too, but the Honda wheels came with the Honda when it was new. what do I do now? I bought a bubble type balancer and came up with they weren't balanced but changing where the weight s were attached made little difference. the Honda wheels fit the hubs so tightly before I ground them out that they had to be beat off and even cleaned up both the hub and rim to like new polish they still went on hard. (not now as they are bored out), go right on, everything wire brushed polished. Saturn wheels went on easy and didn't vibrate any. 2005 Honda is a fully optioned SE with 5 speed manual, sunroof and all the other goodies.