Hubcentric Rings? - Honda Civic Forum

Wheels and Tires Post your wheel and tire related questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-21-2007   #1  
Registered!!

SSMCivic2k5 has a spectacular aura aboutSSMCivic2k5 has a spectacular aura aboutSSMCivic2k5 has a spectacular aura about
Hubcentric Rings?

soo i got a question.... does the rings depend on the car or the wheel??? cause my tire guy was like get the rings not to feel vibrations
SSMCivic2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007   #2  
The only Wyoming Redneck on here

2002civicLX2002 will become famous soon enough2002civicLX2002 will become famous soon enough
Re: Hubcentric Rings?

im not sure what your asking. but i think u are asking if different vehicles have rings on the hubs, and yes they all do. it is used to make sure the wheel is on the hub correctly, and tightly so that it does nor vibrate.
2002civicLX2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007   #3  
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold

both. You need a 56.1mm ID for the car, and the OD of the ring matches the wheel's centerbore.
Boilermaker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007   #4  
Back From The Banned!

CuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really nice

yuup! Need to consider the wheel's bore and the car's hub.
CuRiOuSfIsH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007   #5  
Registered!!

SSMCivic2k5 has a spectacular aura aboutSSMCivic2k5 has a spectacular aura aboutSSMCivic2k5 has a spectacular aura about

yup i already ordered them cause my steerin shakes a bit at 60mph
SSMCivic2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007   #6  
Pwning Noobs 24/7

DaMadScientist is just really niceDaMadScientist is just really niceDaMadScientist is just really niceDaMadScientist is just really niceDaMadScientist is just really nice

there are two kinds of wheels hub centric and lug centric, the hub centric wheels stay centered on the hub of the car and most aftermarket wheels are made with one centerbore in mind and various car inner diameter of the hubs are different and you need a ring to fill that gap so your wheels dont vibrate, here is an illustration

DaMadScientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007   #7  
Registered!!

pon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nice

I've had rims with and w/o rings and no difference

Seems to me that the lugs should center the rim?
pon55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007   #8  
Pwning Noobs 24/7

DaMadScientist is just really niceDaMadScientist is just really niceDaMadScientist is just really niceDaMadScientist is just really niceDaMadScientist is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by pon55 View Post
I've had rims with and w/o rings and no difference

Seems to me that the lugs should center the rim?

lugs that center the rim are only rims that are lug-centric...if your rim is hub-centric you need a hubcentric ring...or your rim will vibrate like crazy, it will feel like your wheel is about to fall off
DaMadScientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007   #9  
Registered!!

pon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMadScientist View Post
lugs that center the rim are only rims that are lug-centric...if your rim is hub-centric you need a hubcentric ring...or your rim will vibrate like crazy, it will feel like your wheel is about to fall off
Guess I just don't get it? The lug holes in the rims are tapper to fit with the lugs, ie; centered. If the lugs are tightened the rim will center itself to the hub.
Old 12-13-2008   #10  
Registered!!

daveydo is an unknown quantity at this point

What centers the rim is the taper on the lug nuts & the rim holes. The hub centric ring will cause the mating of these holes, nuts & studs to occur correctly. The rims will start off centered & will be coplaner to the rotor or drum face. Further, it is the clamp force produced by the tightening of the nuts that holds the rim to the vehicle. Over tighening of the nuts will cause the studs to neck down, stretch & finallly shear. This happens in a one after the other fashion. Each failure increasing the load on the remaining studs. proper torque is therfore required.
daveydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008   #11  
Registered!!

daveydo is an unknown quantity at this point

It's very important to follow the proper tightening sequence as well. Another myth is that the use of torque limiting devices on an air wrench is ok. It is not ok. More often than not the use of these devices will cause over torqueing . Use a torque wrench & store it in an unloaded condition so as to maintian it's accuracy.
daveydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008   #12  
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

good info. i didnt notice any difference with or without the rings but i kept em on there. 80 ft/lbs per nut with a torque wrench. even the best shops ive been to dont know this lil secret. my rims still vibrate a bit even after numerous balances (sears got them the best), i just attribute that to crappy aftermarket rim design cause the stockers never vibrated.
gearbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008   #13  
Registered!!

Holey **** Batman, Oldddd thread. lol

Sounds like autorepair 101. (but sounds correct)
Old 12-13-2008   #14  
Registered!!

DDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of light

^^Im thinking the same theory too.
DDragon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009   #15  
Registered!!

fergo is an unknown quantity at this point

Umm hey guys i read the notes u all posted great stuff but i still have some questions...

First off i went to Pepboys to get that issue fixed (vibrations) n they said they don't carry spares in-shop. so any ideas on where i can buy theseparts besides Online??

Oh yea n does it matter what year civic (2002 coupe) i have for the prats?

Thx guys
fergo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009   #16  
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

the rings need to be specific to the car hub size and also the size and type of rim. so yeah you need detailed info about your car. i got my rings from treadepot.com
Old 08-29-2009   #17  
Registered!!

prodigy803 is an unknown quantity at this point

Im gonna sound like a newb but whats dictates that you have a lug centric or a hub centric?
prodigy803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009   #18  
Premium Member

the car design. i thought our cars were lug centric so the rings dont matter, but maybe im wrong. or maybe the rings dont matter if you get aftermarket rims that are the same size as stock. i always heard they work for bigger rims tho to balance them on the hub better.