Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

Hub Centric Rings Needed?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Johnold is an unknown quantity at this point
Hub Centric Rings Needed?

I bought some wheels from www.discounttiredirect.com a while back and the wheels came with centric rings. i got these exact blue one's shown here in this (small) picture---> and i'm just asking you guys if you think that hub centric rings are needed for any car? some people say YES to put them on and a few other people say that it helps a bit but isn't TOTALLY needed. i'd like to put them just because they're somewhat helpful but i am wondering if they are going to make my wheels fit on my car any differently. basically, are HUB CENTRIC RINGS NEEDED?.

Last edited by Johnold; 03-16-2006 at 06:43 PM.
Old 03-16-2006
Registered!!

crazyasian will become famous soon enoughcrazyasian will become famous soon enough
well if your rims dont sit properly you need them. take your lug nuts off and try to move the wheel around nd if it moves then you need them. those are to keep the wheels from moving around and if you dont use them if the wheel moves then you will experience vibrations. it isnt needed if your rims sit flush against the hub and doesnt move. ive had to get them b.c i could seriously move my wheel around when mounted. one day i mounted them without them and when i was driving 60mph + my steering wheel felt like one of my wheels fell off..it was that bad.
Old 03-16-2006
Registered!!

....wow!. ok. but even if my wheels fit perfectly flush like you said. would i STILL be able to use the centric rings anyways? the rings fit perfectly in my wheel. i haven't installed my wheels on my car yet cause i'm waiting for the $ for tires. but i was messing with the rings and 1 of my rims and put the ring on the back on the inside of the rim and it fits really nicely and perfect. i never really gave thought to the hub centric rings so i'm wondering if i could STILL use them even if it's not necessary.
Old 03-16-2006
Registered!!

crazyasian will become famous soon enoughcrazyasian will become famous soon enough
well even if they fit perfectly in your wheels they prob wont if your wheels seat perfectly on the hub. i would see no reason to use them if your wheels fit b.c with the hubcentric rings on they prob wont. just leave em off or sell em or use them if your wheels dont sit flush.
Old 03-16-2006
Back From The Banned!

CuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really nice
they are used to make your wheel fit more snug and reduce vibration. I would use them as a safety precaution.... like seat belts, dont HAVE to use them... but it's there... it wont hurt that you do use them.....
Old 03-20-2006
Registered!!

D17thgen has a spectacular aura aboutD17thgen has a spectacular aura aboutD17thgen has a spectacular aura about
if you already have it on hand, might as well use it.
Old 03-20-2006
Registered!!

Dticalman81 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by CuRiOuSfIsH
they are used to make your wheel fit more snug and reduce vibration. I would use them as a safety precaution.... like seat belts, dont HAVE to use them... but it's there... it wont hurt that you do use them.....
I think I'll need the same things. Hub Centric Rings. I could feel the vibration on my newly installed motegi mr7's as well..
Old 03-20-2006
Blacked Out Crew

rockrosa is an unknown quantity at this point
I installed them on my mr7's and they fit perfect. It's better to be safe than sorry. You don't want to find out while out on the road that there is vibration in your new wheels. Then you have to take all the wheels off and do it all over again. Do it right the first time. You'll see the gap in the rim that the hub centric will fit flush onto the wheel plate. Make sure you get the metal ones, plastic ones will eventually wear out. No gap=no vibration!
Old 03-20-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by rockrosa
Make sure you get the metal ones, plastic ones will eventually wear out. No gap=no vibration!
Metal ones. I'll take the advice.
Old 03-20-2006
Back From The Banned!

CuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really nice
^^ agreed, my friend had plastic ones and they broke after 1 year of useage.
Old 03-20-2006
Registered!!

yeah, i've got those blue one's that i posted at the top of this thread. yeah, i'll just use them cause everyone else is telling me to. i just didn't know if they were TOTALLY necessary, but thanks alot guys. i should be getting my new tires tomorrow. i'ma drop off my rims at the shop on my lunch time so they could put the tires on them and i'll just go back there on my lunch hour again the next day to have them bolted on my car. so wednesday i should be riding on my rims. very cool!.....

i'ma keep my old lug nuts and tires and oem wheels just incase i ever need them.

Last edited by Johnold; 03-20-2006 at 08:39 PM.
Old 03-21-2006
Crayons taste like purple...

shroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to behold
hubsentric rings eliminate the gap between the wheels hub (DUH) and the center of the rim, the spot behind the centercap. usually rims that are universal fit will require hubcentric rings, and it's better to get metal ones instead of plastic, as the plastic ones tend to dry-rot and break easily.
Old 03-21-2006
Registered!!

hdave is an unknown quantity at this point
they basically center the rim on the hub
wish i could draw a pic on this forum to explain it

but its like u know when u put the rim on the studs, and it can move around a bit? thats not good.
the hubcentric ring will make it stay in the middle
Old 03-21-2006
up-up-down-down-left-right-left-right-b-a-b-a-start

R1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of light
Actually... our cars are Lug Centric so the hub centric rings aren't needed to seat the wheel directly in the centre. The Hub rings will do exactly as some of you already mentioned... they'll reduce vibration and allow your wheel to come in full contact with the hub.

btw... some wheels use these rings and some don't. My Velox's don't use/fit hub centric rings and they're fine. If your wheel fits them then just use them.
Old 03-21-2006
Registered!!

bluestreak is an unknown quantity at this point
how thick are they, wouldn't they push the rim outward twoards the body more? my offset is too drastic as it is, these would make them worse, right?
Old 03-21-2006

R1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of light
Nope... they don't actually stick out further then the hub of the rim... they're completely flush. All they do is fill the gap... basically making a big hole smaller.
Old 03-21-2006
Registered!!

bluestreak is an unknown quantity at this point
^Thanks
Old 03-21-2006

Old 03-21-2006
Back From The Banned!

yeah, they sit within the wheel.
Old 03-21-2006
Boobies are the mans tinkertoys

dp_yz713 is a splendid one to beholddp_yz713 is a splendid one to beholddp_yz713 is a splendid one to beholddp_yz713 is a splendid one to beholddp_yz713 is a splendid one to beholddp_yz713 is a splendid one to beholddp_yz713 is a splendid one to beholddp_yz713 is a splendid one to beholddp_yz713 is a splendid one to beholddp_yz713 is a splendid one to beholddp_yz713 is a splendid one to behold
anyone got a spare one, or a set they are not using cuz i only got three on right now.
Old 03-21-2006
im a psychopath...what are you looking at?

claudeboi is an unknown quantity at this point
what if your rim is flushed but still but the hubcentrics, then would this give an offset???
Old 03-21-2006
Last time I had this much fun some furniture got broken!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
diskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to behold
buy hfp wheels and you won't have to worry about them lol
Old 03-22-2006
Registered!!

Are the poly-carbon hub rings acceptable as well? Or should I must get the aluminum ones? Or are these ok too..
Old 03-22-2006
Blacked Out Crew

rockrosa is an unknown quantity at this point
Poly-Carb are crap and will eventually crack. Spend the extra 5 bucks and buy the metal ones. Look at discount tire or ebay.
Old 03-22-2006
Smuggling bananas and mexicans all for one low price...

TheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond repute
I got some with my 5zigen wheels, and the wheel guys said I didn't need them (it was more like they couldent put them on because the wheels already sat flush). So there just sitting in my room. Nice metal pink ones lol
Old 03-22-2006
Boobies are the mans tinkertoys

dp_yz713 is a splendid one to beholddp_yz713 is a splendid one to beholddp_yz713 is a splendid one to beholddp_yz713 is a splendid one to beholddp_yz713 is a splendid one to beholddp_yz713 is a splendid one to beholddp_yz713 is a splendid one to beholddp_yz713 is a splendid one to beholddp_yz713 is a splendid one to beholddp_yz713 is a splendid one to beholddp_yz713 is a splendid one to behold
^^^wanna sell them
Old 03-22-2006
Smuggling bananas and mexicans all for one low price...

TheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond repute
Sure, they arnt doing me any good sitting in my room
Old 03-22-2006
Registered!!

ok check this out. i got my wheels and tires bolted on my car today and i DID use the centric rings. ok they're ok. everything seems to check out ok. BUT!, i know this may not have anything to do with the centric rings but-NOW I CAN'T SEEM TO FIT THE WHEELS CENTER CAPS ON THE WHEELS!.

they're not fitting propperly now. i don't know what happened. it clicks in but it's not in totally all the way around. and it's looking like it's hitting a lug nut. how come these center caps fit fine when the wheels were off the car and now they aren't fitting? i don't get it. it's hitting one of the lug nuts man!!! damnit all to hell!. how could www.discounttiredirect.com give me those lug nuts with those wheels and didn't know that the lug nuts wouldn't let me put on the center caps on? SON-OF-A-BITCH!. don't tell me i'ma have to get new lug nuts!... I NEED HELP WITH THIS.

these are the lug nuts i got with my wheels.

that rounded top there is whats preventing me from totally completely locking my center caps flush with my wheel. whats up with that?

Last edited by Johnold; 03-22-2006 at 05:47 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-22-2006
aki
Registered!!

aki is an unknown quantity at this point
Dang so much misinformation.

1) You NEED hubcentric rings if the rims weren't specifically made for our hubs--which if they're aftermarket wheels is true 90% of the time. If they came with them, put them on. Most rim hubs are 73mm--and I think the Civic is 56.15mm bore.

2) Wheels are not lug centered. Even if you torqued the lugs right they'd still vibrate. They're hub centered.

3) They're not optional--unless, you don't mind vibration.

4) Polycarbonate -> Metal -> Plastic hub centric rings. Metal ones tend to still cause minor vibrations when driving. Plastic cracks.

I'm not understanding how your center caps have anything to do with lugs. Center caps don't ever hit lugs, stems, or hubs. They just snap into the wheel. If you're talking about the lugs not going in, they may have given you the wrong lugs.
Old 03-22-2006
aki
Registered!!

aki is an unknown quantity at this point
Dangit pasted some words and can't go back to edit and get rid of them. Polycarbonate is plastic. And polycarbonate's more durable than metal. Rota swears by plastic rings, and I have a much better experience with em.

Quick Reply: Hub Centric Rings Needed?