Door Swap Issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jaydino75 is an unknown quantity at this point
Door Swap Issues

Hey, all,

I got a 2005 Civic EX Coupe. Among her numerous problems, the driver's side door does not close completely, and the rain gets in. Needless to say, the car kinda smells musty. So I went to the junkyard and found a matching color in very good shape. I set to work tonight to swap out the existing door.

Now, I managed to pull all the harness connectors under the dash on the donor car--a 2002 Civic EX Coupe, so all the electrical is physically intact. I assumed the swap would be the same, but that's where I was wrong. When wrestling with the harness on the donor car, there was a gray, longer connector with a white short connector attached to it. It was a clean pull; the harness came apart where it should've, and everything pulled through the port. However, when I attempted to remove MY door, there are some kind of crimps attached to some wires; on the gray connector (the 2 white ones with gray or black bands), there is a green and a blue wire on some kind of crimp splice. On the white connector, there are a couple of those splice points, but nothing attached to them.

The green and the blue wires run to a small yellow box. It is not attached to the frame in any way, just hanging there, and it has a bunch of connectors leading to other parts of the harness. I have NO idea what this is, or what it does. There is also a smaller black box labeled "UPGRADEABLE" something or other. Here, I apologize for the lack of photos; by the time I got this far, it was already dark enough out to call a pause until tomorrow. This apparatus was not on the donor vehicle this morning. If someone has any idea of what this is, and could advise on how to work with/around it, I'd greatly appreciate it.
Old 10-04-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,124 Likes on 939 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: Door Swap Issues

Just pull the door harness out of the old door and put it in the new door
Old 10-04-2018
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

Did they both have the tweeter on the inside door mirror access cover?
Old 10-05-2018
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light

Does the original door need adjustment to close properly? You can adjust the hinges, striker plate and rubber stopper/cushions.

I had replaced a hinge that became loose at the pin that made the door wobble up and down when open.
Old 10-05-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jaydino75 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, the car has the tweeters on the mirror. I was apprehensive about having to take the wiring harness off the old door, and threading it into the new door, as Colin suggested; but once I got to it, I found it SO easy. I LOVE HONDAS!! ND: The hinges and pins were all aligned. It looks like the top corner where the door meets the frame was somehow bent. By the looks of it, I could suspect someone attempting to break in some time before I bought her.

Thanks for your help, everyone!